We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

seeking advice on a tentative itinerary for 2-day napa visit

usa
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
seeking advice on a tentative itinerary for 2-day napa visit

I have been planning a gathering for my family in Napa for this coming Sunday and Monday. (We will be coming from South Bay).

I would like to seek adive on my routing, choices of wineries and the orders of visit

It is my family's first time doing wine tasting in the area. We are looking for a wide range of wine tasting experience. But for myself, i am particularly interested in red, particulary want to explore pinot noir and Cabernet Sauvingnon, and also fume blanc

Day 1 (Sunday):

1.start with robert Mondavis's educational tour

2. Grgich Hills

lunch: suggestions? picnic at S Vutti? would it get too busy on sunday? how far is it from Grgich?

3. Here is my dilmemma comes in: either Del Dotto Barrel tasting at 3:00 pm (can not get into the last tour at 3:30) or Beringer?

Would i end up driving around too much if i choose Del Dotto?

If Beringer is a good choice? can someone recommend a couple additional smaller but good ones in the nearby area?

I read about Hess collection, would it be worth visiting?

In what order should i visit.

Staying in Napa downtown over night.

Day 2 (Monday)

thinking of some wineries in Calistoga, including the smaller ones.

thinking of visiting Schramsberg, Sterling. Vincent Arroyo, and either Frankin's family or Zahtila.

Would this be too much?

In what order should i visit?

Any other possible recommendations?

Given the choices of wineries and that i am staying in Napa downtown over night, would this itinerary make sense? or should I start from the wineries in Calistoga on Sunday and do the rest on Monday?

Platypus Wine Tours
Wine Tours & Tastings
Squire Livery Tours
Wine Tours & Tastings , Private Tours
Beau Wine Tours
Wine Tours & Tastings , Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours
Noble Wine Tours
Wine Tours & Tastings , Private Tours
Napa, CA
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: seeking advice on a tentative itinerary for 2-day napa visit

I'll try to unpack your questions the best I can. Ideally you should start in Calistoga and work your way down, but your itinerary sounds fine either way. Sunday will be the busiest of the days. The wineries, especially the well known ones, will be busy. You mentioned V. Sattui for lunch which would be a very good option, but on Sunday it might be a bit crowded. Grgich and V. Sattui are about 5 mins apart. Another option is the Rutherford Grille located in Rutherford. It has VERY good comfort sort of food (not "gourmet" per say) and is one of my favorite spots. It is moderately priced ($30-40/person).

You mentioned a dillema between Del Dotto or Beringer. I've personally never been to Del Dotto, but I have been to Beringer. Beringer has several different kinds of tours that launch at various times during the day. Beringer's facilities are beautiful, their tours very interesting, and their wine is great...especially their "Leaning Oak" label. I checked out Del Dotto and that looks great too. If you wanted to do this on Sunday, Del Dotto may be your best option, especially if you had to reserve a spot in the tour. Beringer will be very busy on Sunday. As for driving, you will be in the car a lot if you choose Del Dotto. Del Dotto is off of Atlas Peak Road which is aprox. a 45 min drive from Rutherford. If you choose Del Dotto, I wouldn't do lunch in Rutherford, but in Napa. A few Napa restaurant choices: Celedon, Cuvee, Don Giovanni's.

As far as the order goes, if you are starting at Robert Mondavi, and then going to Grgich Hills and then V. Sattui, you will be working South-North. This may not seem like a huge deal now, but you will be tired and tipsy, and driving will be a pain. I would personally start at Robert Mondavi and go north to Grgich Hills, but go no further north. Instead of Beringer, try Peju Province Winery, Cakebread Cellers (excellent!), St. Supery, or Turnbull.

You realistically can only do about 4 wineries in a day, and that's somewhat pushing it. Plan on three, with a fourth (and possibly a fifth) in the wings if you can manage them. Of those that you mentioned, I would do them in this order (starting from furthest away to closest to Napa): Vincent Arroyo, Zahtila, Sterling, Schramsburg, Frank Family Vineyards. Plan to spend some time at each, especially Sterling. They have a fantastic gondola ride up to their tasting rooms.

Hope this helps, enjoy your visit!

usa
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: seeking advice on a tentative itinerary for 2-day napa visit

many thanks! much appreciated!

Napa, CA
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: seeking advice on a tentative itinerary for 2-day napa visit

mavieenrose-

(great screen name-- did you see the movie? :)

Del Dotto is probably completely booked already for the weekend. You may want to switch days around-- Mondavi's ToKalon Tour is still best on your first day, but perhaps you might want to do the smaller Calistoga wineries on Sunday (Arroyo, Frank Family, Zahtila), and then do some of the bigger places (Beringer, Sterling) on Monday.

If you're staying at a B&B or Inn in Napa, you can have your innkeeper map all of this out for you-- they'll even be able to get you a coupon for a discounted tram ride at Sterling (if you go before noon).

Also, please do call Castella de Amarosa (or have the innkeepers do it for you) and arrange a tour, if you can get in. It will blow your mind.

http://www.castellodiamorosa.com/

Have fun!

-The Innkeepers

Napa Old World Inn

usa
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: seeking advice on a tentative itinerary for 2-day napa visit

how long does it take from Robert Mondavis to Calistoga?

Many thanks again for all your wisdom!

Napa, CA
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: seeking advice on a tentative itinerary for 2-day napa visit

It's about 20-25 minutes no traffic. It also depends on where you are going in Calistoga. If you are going a bit north add a few minutes.

6. Re: seeking advice on a tentative itinerary for 2-day napa visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 13:18