We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itenerary Help!

Indiana
Level Contributor
5 posts
15 reviews
Itenerary Help!

We'll be in Napa July 9 - 13th on our Honeymoon. I've come up with the following itenerary and I'd like some advice on it. Is it too packed? Is the timing feasible? What could I remove? I feel like I didn't leave time for good meals, especially lunch. Also, our last day is currently empty so maybe some things could be shifted around. any advice would be appreciated!

Monday -

9:32 Arrive at SFO

9:30 - 10:30 Pick up bags and car

10:30 - 12:00 Drive to Napa

12:00 - 1:00 Lunch in Oakville

2:00 - 3:30 Mondavi To Kalon Tour

3:30 - 4:30 Grgich Hills Tasting (somewhere in this hour)

4:30 - on Browsing, drive back to hotel for check-in

Tuesday

9:00 Drive to Sterling Vineyards, arrive around 10 for tram

10:00 - 12:00 Sterling Vineyards tram, tour, and tasting

12:45 - 2:15 Schramsberg Tour

anytime: Frank Family Tasting

Old Faithful and Petrified Forest

Shopping

Dinner - make reservations somewhere nice

Wednesday (no timing yet)

Breakfast at or around hotel

Frog's Leap Tour

St Helena Olive Oil Company

V Stattui tasting and tour, self guided.

Beringer - tasting only

Freemark Abbey - tasting only

Sutter Home tasting

Dinner

Thursday (no timing yet either)

Spa in the morning

Drive up to Domaine Chandon for tasting and lunch at Etoile

1:00 - 2:30 Jarvis Tour

3:30 Del Dotto Tour

Dinner

Friday

TBD

What do you all think?

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
32,848 posts
6,430 reviews
1. Re: Itenerary Help!

I liked the whle thing....if you can switch the Jarvis and Del Dotto to separate days you will enjoy the two much better though. Both are enerous with their wine tasting!

Texas
Level Contributor
2,761 posts
21 reviews
2. Re: Itenerary Help!

Swith5, where are you staying?

Napa, CA
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Itenerary Help!

Your itinerary looks good except on Wednesday you have a lot of wineries to go to. Realistically you will get in between 3-5 (three taking it easy, 5 rushing everywhere). I would skip the Sutter Home tasting personally. Also, you have on Thursday driving up to Etoile for lunch and then going to Jarvis by 1:00 pm. It will be aprox. a 45 min drive between the two. I agree with Mini, Jarvis is such a unique winery you are going to want to spend time there. Del Dotto could be done on a different day.

Just a tip: try not to pack your days filled with stuff. Have a few must see things, and a list of "could do" things, and take it as it goes.

Napa, CA
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Itenerary Help!

We are in agreement w/the previous posts-- 3-4 wineries a day, esp if one of them is a tour.

Do Mondavi tour on one day, Schramsberg on another, and pick either Del Dotto OR Jarvis for your third day, the other on your fourth day.

Where you're staying will make a difference, as all of this mayhem can be sorted out, arranged, and reservations made if you're staying at a Napa B&B or Inn (since we all offer complimentary concierge services). The innkeepers where you are staying will also be happy to draw out a good route on maps for you.

Do leave time each day (after 3:00, typically) for something special, like a winery you just find out about from a winemaker or other person you speak to while wine tasting-- these chance happenings are part of what makes a trip to Napa/Sonoma so much fun!

And don't worry too much about lunch-- get a good breakfast so you'll have something inside before drinking wine, and just grab a bit of bread and cheese (or charcuterie) from one of the local gourmet grocery stores-- with plenty of bottle water-- for snacking in between wineries.

Have a great time-- you've picked some wonderful spots!

-The Innkeepers

Napa Old World Inn

5. Re: Itenerary Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 10:21