We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a day-trip tour to Napa from San Francisco

Columbus, Ohio
13 posts
Looking for a day-trip tour to Napa from San Francisco

We'd like to plan a Saturday (in June) day trip from San Francisco to Napa Valley.

I'd love any recommendations on which company to book through...there are SO many choices, and I can't distinguish.

I don't know much about any of the wineries, would love to get to Chandon and/or Coppola.

AnnapolisMD
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
1. Re: Looking for a day-trip tour to Napa from San Francisco

Are you looking for a group tour or a more personal tour? Many tour companies pick up in San Francisco and do a tour. The public tours tend to be less expensive and hit the more touristy wineries. It also can be great fun going on a group tour.

Private tours are very expensive, but can be customized to your needs.

Tell us more of what you are looking for and we can be of more assistance.

Columbus, Ohio
13 posts
2. Re: Looking for a day-trip tour to Napa from San Francisco

Well, we're sort of open to either. I like the idea of a private tour because we can choose where to go. I've seen the group tours as inexpensive as about $60 or $70, and I've seen the private tours for $145-$165 per person, which actually seems pretty cheap for a whole-day private tour.

I want to do what will be the most fun without being too rowdy/obnoxious and without being too terribly touristy. Even some of the group tour companies say they go to smaller wineries.

I'd like to know which companies people have had good/bad experiences with, regardless of price or public vs. private.

Thanks again for your help!

Napa, CA
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Looking for a day-trip tour to Napa from San Francisco

tippy540-

Playtpus Tours and the Napa WInery Shuttle are both low-cost (less than $80 per person) full day tours that take you to all kinds of wineries, and you have a wonderful lunch. Lunch may or may not be included-- check with the tour operator:

http://www.platypustours.com/

http://www.wineshuttle.com/

As Anapolis mentions, you can also book a private tour, which runs about $300 for 4 hours-- but you can bring 4 or more people. There are *lots* of tour companies that offer this-- just use the search function on these forums with keywords like "driver" or "limo".

You would need to drive to Napa to catch either of the shuttle tours, since they only pick up locally (parking locally is free). If you hire a car/driver, they will come to you-- but you will be paying them $85 n hour to drive you the hour here, and the hour back to SF-- so be sure to take that into account in your budget!!

Ask the shuttle co's if they go to any specific wineries-- they'll be happy to share this info w/you.

And do remember-- the above costs do not include wine tasting fees at the wineries.

Hoping this helps. :)

-The Innkeepers

Napa Old World Inn

Napa, CA
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Looking for a day-trip tour to Napa from San Francisco

tippy540-

You replied as we were writing the above response. Sorry. Most of the shuttle tours are NOT rowdy.

Use the search function on these forums to get lots of feedback on the specific tour companies (use "WInery shuttle" or "Platypus" as keywords).

-The Innkeepers

Napa Old World Inn

Columbus, Ohio
13 posts
5. Re: Looking for a day-trip tour to Napa from San Francisco

Unfortunately, we do need a tour that will pick us up at our SF hotel. We don't want the hassle of renting a car.

Seems like Platypus tours would pick us up at the ferry terminal, but not on Saturday--the day we're planning!

Thanks for all your help and suggestions--much appreciated!

6. Re: Looking for a day-trip tour to Napa from San Francisco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 13:16