We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Location, location, location!!!

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
9,141 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Location, location, location!!!

I will be traveling w/hubby on a business trip the first week in October, we currently have reservations at the Best Western Ivy. Is this a good location or is there something better for us/me.

I will be sightseeing, while the poor guy has to work. I'd prefer to be able to walk, whenever possible. I'd do a walking tour of a couple of wineries if possible (saw something in Budget Travel mag recently about this). We're planning to do a bike tour (hopefully) on our last day in the area.

I prefer outdoorsy things to museums, will check out shopping only if its local, boutique/craft/artisan type.

Looking for "nothing fancy" but fairly healthy restaurants. If we could walk, all the better.

Napa, CA
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Location, location, location!!!

BW Ivy is a loooooong walk to downtown. Google maps has a short-cut (you walking alongside the railroad tracks):

http://g.co/maps/cgv8j

Lots of hotels/inns/B&Bs in downtown Napa *are* an easy walk to more than 50 restaurants, 23 wine tasting rooms, and shopping. But be careful using travel site booking engines like Expedia and Travelocity-- they may show you hotels that are way, far away (up to an hour's drive)-- even when you ask for only downtown Napa! (buyer be careful).

There are lots and lots of amazing restaurants-- "nothing fancy" here means casual (not dressy attire)-- literally every single downtown Napa restaurant is a place where you can walk in w/shorts, a nice golf shirt and tennies.

There are amazing historic downtown walks, as well as a bike tour path, and several bike rental companies that will drop off and pick up their bikes from your hotel (easy peasy). :)

Napa is a great walking town, if you' re in the center of things. Google map wherever you're going to stay, and see how far it is from First and Main (roughly the center of town).

Hope this helps. :)

Cheers,

-The Innkeepers

Napa Old World Inn

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,141 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Location, location, location!!!

Please give me names of places that are in the "right" location, all I have to go by is what is provided on the hotels websites and as we all know, they are not necessarily true.

Thanks!

Napa, CA
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Location, location, location!!!

We had edited our post to say "all you need to do is google map the locations relative to First and Main St, Napa, Ca"--however, you replied so quickly, TA wouldn't let us add this to our post! :)

Regardless of what it says on the hotel websites, just get their street address and google map it-- then, hit the "walk" icon, and see how close it is. :)

Since we're a lodging property, it's not cricket to list other hotels/motels/Inns/B&Bs-- if we missed just one, we'd be accused of favoritism (we did this once-- tried to list everything in downtown Napa, and got called on the carpet for a property that was just off of Hwy 29). So we'll let others make suggestions so as not to ruffle feathers. There are some other great regulars to these forums-- you'll get plenty of suggestions.

You can also google "hotels downtown Napa" and look at the google local map:

http://g.co/maps/5vc3a

Or "Downtown Napa B&Bs":

http://g.co/maps/tn7g8

Sorry if that seems like we're being weenies. Not our intent at all-- just trying to be respectful of other lodging props. :)

Cheers,

-The Innkeepers

Napa Old World Inn

Edited: 17 September 2011, 19:25
Napa, CA
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Location, location, location!!!

. . . rats.

. . . Serves us right. We tried to google map B&Bs in Downtown Napa, and got a weird result (it looked for "Bs" in downtown Napa once we shortened the url!).

Geesh.

So here are 2 other different searches, using the words "Bed and Breakfast", and a website that lists *only* Napa B&Bs:

http://g.co/maps/j9j7a

www.historicinns.com

Hoping this is more help . . . :p

-The Innkeepers

Napa Old World Inn

Edited: 17 September 2011, 19:34
Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,141 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Location, location, location!!!

Okay, just booked at the 3 Palms on Coombs St., looks as if it's in the right location. I found a "Downtown Napa" website that listed about a dozen or so hotels, it looked good.

Now I'll see what I can find about restaurants, starting w/something close and easy for breakfast (hubby will have to get out fairly early in the a.m.)... any suggestions?

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,141 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Location, location, location!!!

Did we just make a terrible mistake??? Is this a Travellodge in disguise??? Please help!!!

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,405 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Location, location, location!!!

Yes, it's a converted, older Travellodge. It's got a great location but not much in the way of aesthetics. I can't comment on the room quality since I've never been in the place. If cost is important then it might work for you but there are a lot of other places in the downtown area that would offer more charm and amenities.

Kiawah Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,141 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Location, location, location!!!

Looks as if we may have to stick w/3 Palms for location...

I'm tired of searching, since we're only 2 weeks out, most places are booked. Looks as if 3 Palms has been recently renovated on the inside, don't know about the outside. We are stuck w/cost constraints since this is a business trip for hubby. If I can easily walk around in this area, I guess we'll be okay.

Suggestions for dinners that aren't particularly fancy, just good food???

Napa
Level Contributor
2,486 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Location, location, location!!!

Just know it's a glorified Travelodge- so as long as you don't expect much, you'll be happy. It is in the best location. You can easily walk to 20 tasting rooms, and the best restaurants. The Oxbow is right over the river. For restaurants you have Morimoto, Bui Bistro, Rotisserie and Wine, Angele, Celedon, Cole's, FIsh Story, Grace's Table, Ristorante Allegria, Ubuntu, Uva, ZuZu, etc, etc.

Comp't tasting at Mason Cellars on 1st. You can go to NapaValleyAdventuretours.com for bikng or kayaking right out of the Oxbow.

There is a downtown walking tour by George Webber-napawalkingtour.com.

Have fun!

Napa, CA
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Location, location, location!!!

Great location-- we had no idea it had changed its name!

As Segway says-- expect a Travelodge, and you will be OK. Even tho' it's peak-peak season, we're hoping you're paying less than $160/night. Off season rates should run less than $99/night.

Recent reviews:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g32766-d78603-R…

Cheers,

-The Innkeepers

Napa Old World Inn

Edited: 18 September 2011, 15:52