We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Little Corona and Crystal Cove beaches for tide pools

Stuart
Level Contributor
98 posts
92 reviews
Little Corona and Crystal Cove beaches for tide pools

Yesterday we walked around on the hill above Little Corona, and saw people exploring the tide pools as the tide went out around 6 pm. In years past, I was able to walk through the coves from Little Corona beach all the way to the beach at Crystal Cove. Yes, it was necessary to wear good water shoes, go up and down wet jagged rocks, and through a hole in a little cave, but all that made each spot all the more special. I won't be able to make the hike this trip but wanted to find out if it is still possible, or if the way is now blocked or forbidden. Finally, the last trip all the star fish had died. Did they come back so you can see them in the tide pools? Thanks for any first-hand info.

4 replies to this topic
Long Beach...
Level Contributor
7,841 posts
1. Re: Little Corona and Crystal Cove beaches for tide pools

I can't answer all your questions, but we go tidepooling in winter, when the tides are negative. You can see star fish and lots of other creatures. We haven't walked between the two beaches, but at very low tides I see folks going very far.

Stuart
Level Contributor
98 posts
92 reviews
2. Re: Little Corona and Crystal Cove beaches for tide pools

Thanks lemoncurl! Hopefully some TA person has done the three or so coves that connect the two beaches.

Corona del Mar...
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
59,918 posts
441 reviews
3. Re: Little Corona and Crystal Cove beaches for tide pools

In theory you CAN walk from Little Corona to Crystal Cove... but not sure why anyone would want to.

I would call it five coves to navigate past.

Stuart
Level Contributor
98 posts
92 reviews
4. Re: Little Corona and Crystal Cove beaches for tide pools

scottca075: Thanks for the reply! As to why I used to walk from Little Corona to Crystal Cove, it was because each cove was like a little hidden gem that you got to explore. Some had big rock formations you could sit on and watch the ocean crash below you, and others had caves to crawl through.

Good to know there are 5 of these coves...I just remember it being a bunch :)

Reply to: Little Corona and Crystal Cove beaches for tide pools
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Newport Beach