We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 night gets early November-suggestions for 18 year old

New Jersey
Level Contributor
64 posts
3 reviews
2 night gets early November-suggestions for 18 year old

I’m coming to California in early November to see my freshman daughter at UCLA. I will spend the first and last night in LA, but I thought it would be nice to get away with her for 2 days. My plan is to uber to Newport where I booked 2 nights at the Newport Beach Hotel. I know it won’t be super warm but we can hang out on the beach...maybe catch the ferry to Balboa Island. The goal is really to connect. But does anyone have another suggestion while we are there? Thanks in advance!

4 replies to this topic
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
14,434 posts
120 reviews
1. Re: 2 night gets early November-suggestions for 18 year old

Have you asked her? She must know lots of things she wants to do by now (aside from study for midterms and finals). She might not want to be out of wifi range, therefore (so ask her if the ferry sounds like a great idea to her).

I'm guessing she might want to show you some of what she's been up to and what she thinks is cool (which is probably on and around UCLA). For connecting, she might want to visit someplace that she keeps hearing about (like the Getty Villa...harder for her to get to than the Getty Center). "Connecting" in the midst of the quarter's most intense time might mean something very different to her - so be sensitive to that. Most students are so far behind in their papers and reading by early November...however, a night or two at a hotel is usually very welcome. 4 days off from studying? Not so sure - it's her first quarter, she doesn't know how it's going to go yet.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
64 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: 2 night gets early November-suggestions for 18 year old

My son is a senior at USC so we have been out to LA about 5 times now. Love it, and have been to many places, actually multiple times,but are looking for something around Newport Beach. And she will just be with me two days, not 4. School comes first! Thanks!

Edited: 03 September 2018, 20:55
S L
Carbondale, Illinois
Level Contributor
1 post
35 reviews
3. Re: 2 night gets early November-suggestions for 18 year old

For a totally causal place to eat a delicious lunch or supper, try the Bear Flag Fish Company. If you have a car, the Crystal Cove location is across the road from the state park beach (if you want to combine beach and meal), just fifteen minutes south of Newport, and less crowded. It's also in a high end shopping center (if you also want to shop), but you can still see the ocean when you sit outside there.

Corona del Mar...
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
59,930 posts
441 reviews
4. Re: 2 night gets early November-suggestions for 18 year old

Sorry I missed this one the first time through. The ferry is a good long ways from the Newport Beach Hotel, about two miles.

Closer is the recently completed Lido Marina Village and then of course, Laguna Beach, which has lots of great stuff.

Reply to: 2 night gets early November-suggestions for 18 year old
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Newport Beach