We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Newport Beach in January

2 posts
Staying in Newport Beach in January

Hi everyone, :)

My mother and I will be visiting California in January for our birthdays and I have a few questions to ask about what to expect.

Firstly, residents of California, what sort of weather can we expect in Cali during January? Ofc typically it will be the coldest month but what sort of temperatures can we expect? And what was it like this year? Google has said it's typically about 20 degrees celsius there in January but I just wanted to double check that.

Also, we will be staying at Newport Beach for the duration of our visit and will be hoping to get to and fro to LA but as I've heard LA traffic is no joke, do you have any tips or suggestions for getting to and from LA from Newport Beach? I'm particularly concerned about when we arrive, we'll be arriving at 3pm in LA and I guess after checking in and doing customs etc it'll be like 4pm-5pm and I'm just wondering what it'll be like getting to Newport Beach at that time?

I was thinking maybe getting a shuttle bus for us, is there most likely to be bad traffic during those times?

7 replies to this topic
Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,753 posts
189 reviews
1. Re: Staying in Newport Beach in January

If you want to know what weather to expect in "Cali," I suggest you ask residents of Colombia, not California. No offense but many of us do take offense at the use of that term and I suggest you refer to our state as California during your visit.

Weather from day to day fluctuates but January is typically the coldest month in Southern California. You can generally expect day highs in the 50's and 60's (F) and night lows in the 40's. You can also expect a few warmer days in the high 60's and 70's and possibly a little rain.

For transportation, you have several options. There are shared vans that run about $40 per person, available outside the terminals at LAX. I prefer an advance reservation shared van like Karmel. Even though you reserve "shared" service, you will typically not share the van with another party. You can also reserve towncar exclusive service through Karmel, Execucar and similar services. Uber and Lyft cars are available at LAX as well. And of course there are taxis.

You will be in the middle of the rush period. So you can either wait to leave the airport until after 7, or join the masses on the road. Once you get to Newport Beach, it won't be difficult to get around.

2 posts
2. Re: Staying in Newport Beach in January

Thanks so much!

Why do you guys take offense to the term Cali?

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
18,321 posts
137 reviews
3. Re: Staying in Newport Beach in January

Cali is Never used by us who live in California. It must be some text thing thought up by someone who lives elsewhere.

Make sure you have a meal at Bluewater Grill...it is a chain, but very good....we drive almost an hour one way just to have lunch.

Edited: 23 October 2018, 16:50
4. Re: Staying in Newport Beach in January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 23 October 2018, 17:07
Edited: 23 October 2018, 17:07

Corona del Mar...
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
59,916 posts
441 reviews
5. Re: Staying in Newport Beach in January

>>>Why do you guys take offense to the term Cali?<<<

It isn't something Californians say or use, it grates on the ears, just like "San Fran" and "Frisco" offend San Franciscans.

Where are you staying in Newport? Are you saying you will not have a car for your trip? What is it you are planning to see/do?

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,753 posts
189 reviews
6. Re: Staying in Newport Beach in January

It is disrespectful and will not endear you to any mature adults on your trip. We don't consider it "cute" or kind in any way. Is it so hard to say California? Would you appreciate visitors using a nickname for your city, state country? The official abbreviation for the State of California is CA. You might hear locals refer to Nor Cal or SoCal (usually in writing). You might find a T-shirt that says "Cali" in an airport shop. Don't consider that license to to use that term. We'll just consider you to be immature and rude.

Anaheim, California
Destination Expert
for Tijuana, Anaheim
Level Contributor
4,526 posts
10 reviews
7. Re: Staying in Newport Beach in January

There's no way to know what the weather will be. It could be 30 and windy and sunny, or it could be 10 and pouring down rain with mudslides.

Driving from LAX to Newport Beach at 5 p.m. is a recipe for disaster. Go somewhere close by (Manhattan Beach? Santa Monica?) and have dinner, then drive to Newport after 7.

Calling it "Cali" marks you as an outsider pretty much instantly. It's not offensive, just makes everyone's eyes roll.

Reply to: Staying in Newport Beach in January
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Newport Beach