We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Palm Springs in August 2017

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Traveling to Palm Springs in August 2017

We are staying in Palm Springs for 10 nights in mid August. We have booked 5 nights at The Ritz Carlton in Rancho Mirage and were thinking about doing the other 5 nights in either Indian Wells or Palm Desert. What would you recommend as being best out of the two and any recommendations on hotels. Thanks!

19 replies to this topic
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
68,365 posts
72 reviews
1. Re: Traveling to Palm Springs in August 2017

10 nights???? What do you expect to be doing at that time of year in that area?

We love the desert in summer but all we do is either spend time in the pool or in our airconditioned room and go out for dinner.

I could not do that for 10 nights with temps over 100F!! Have you even been in a sauna?? That's what the air feels like!

Desert Southwest US
Level Contributor
1,166 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Traveling to Palm Springs in August 2017

Wow, do yourself a favor and look at San Diego or other coastal areas. I could see 2-3 nights as bearable this time of year, but 10? Yikes! About 8-9 months of the year the weather in the Desert is some of the best in the world, but August isn't one of those months. We're used to it, but it still gets pretty tough and we adjust our outdoor lifestyles around this time of year.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,982 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Traveling to Palm Springs in August 2017

As I wrote on a recent post, the last time we were in the desert, at the end of August, it was 117 degrees! That is why the hotel room rates are cut in half or less! The hotels need to fill up their rooms. We go frequently to the desert but avoid the hottest summer months now. If you can believe it, it's too hot to lay out by the pool in the middle of the day.

It would be fun for a weekend, go out to dinners, movies, museums, but 10 days is too long. A drive to the San Diego beaches, or others, is just a couple hours away. August is a great time to be at the beach.

If you still want to stay that long, I would check out the Hyatt Indian Wells is our resort of choice in hot weather. They have lots of Palm trees for shade and an adult only pool with cabanas with misters that help with the heat.

White Plains, New...
Destination Expert
for White Plains, Aruba
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
292 reviews
4. Re: Traveling to Palm Springs in August 2017

It is hot hot hot that time of the year. We were there in the summer on the way back from Maui. Did nothing outside except walk to air conditioned car.

Had fun.

Think about some trips from Palm Desert

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Traveling to Palm Springs in August 2017

Thanks for the replies. This will be our second trip to Palm Springs so we have experienced the hot hot heat, but being from the UK we love having two weeks in actual hot sunny weather ha ha ha !! It will be a relaxed trip so loads of time in the pool and afternoon naps as suggested. We have booked the Hyatt Regency in Indian Wells 👍🏻 thanks for recommendation.

Bellevue...
Level Contributor
7 posts
15 reviews
6. Re: Traveling to Palm Springs in August 2017

OMG, being from Seattle, the idea of 10 days in August sounds like nothing but joy to me. People who live in the desert don't understand that in places like UK (and the PNW), you can make it through an entire summer without enough sun and warmth to trigger any seasonal feelings. Yea, imagine a year without a summer. It takes about five days in PS in Aug to lose the very confusing desire of both wanting to be in the sun, just to feel it and soak up some vit D, and not wanting to be in the sun because it is 110 degrees and therefore a stupid place to be. The only answer is to also be in the pool and have a hot tub standing by, because even at 110, a few hours in pool water will chill you out. Then you have five more days to play around the area in the morning and after sunset. It's quiet and uncrowded, with very little traffic. All the restaurants and attractions are happy to see you and all the natives are extra friendly. Mellow, warm, friendly, uncrowded -- I think August might be my favorite time of year.

Desert Southwest US
Level Contributor
1,166 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Traveling to Palm Springs in August 2017

Brandy, fun answer and I completely understand what you're saying. We do get visitors here that come with the idea of seeing the sun and being warm as a key motivation. Germans, for example, seem to gravitate to the Coachella Valley in the summer and find some purifying solace in the heat.

I have a connection in Eugene and she underscores your perspective.

Edited: 14 May 2017, 18:03
Coloma, California
Level Contributor
1,911 posts
62 reviews
8. Re: Traveling to Palm Springs in August 2017

The poster from Washington claims that even in August the "water will chill you out" and you need a hot tub standing by.

This hasn't been my experience. I come down to my condo in Palm Desert a few days in the summer to do routine maintenance. I usually go down to the pool and never have I found the water chilling me out.

Yes, the temperature of the water is not as hot as the air temp, but it warms quickly because of the extreme heat. Even with the recirculation it doesn't approach cool.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
68,365 posts
72 reviews
9. Re: Traveling to Palm Springs in August 2017

I agree that the pool water may feel cool after a while! We were at a small hotel one August when their pool heater went off and we couldn't believe how chilly the water felt!!

I suppose everyone is different but when the air is 110 water below 80 can feel chilly!

Edited: 14 May 2017, 19:37
Corona del Mar...
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
59,930 posts
441 reviews
10. Re: Traveling to Palm Springs in August 2017

Kay S, welcome back to the forums.

You can get sunny and warm, even hot, almost any place in So Cal in August. You don't need to be in PS to get heat.

Palm Springs is not hot in August, it is blistering, literally blistering. It is so hot you cannot really sit by the pool unless you are in shade. You cannot walk from your lounge chair to the pool, even if it is 20 feet away, in bare feet. You will burn your feet on the concrete.

Also in August about 50%, maybe more, of the best restaurants are "closed for the season" as they say and don't reopen until late September or October.

Even if you are committed to five nights at the Ritz Carlton, I'd book nights on the coast someplace.

Reply to: Traveling to Palm Springs in August 2017
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Palm Desert