We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

questions.... on mapping and restaurants

Northern Virginia...
Level Contributor
395 posts
questions.... on mapping and restaurants

Hello, We are driving to Shadow Ridges Marriott from LAX, can you tell me (seeing as it's in the middle of desert and all,) will Waze app and cellular internet be available to guide us?

Also any restaurants in the area? While we love the Marriott vacation resorts (stayed in MANY), we do not love their food choices. ;) Thanks!!

9 replies to this topic
Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
19,337 posts
16 reviews
1. Re: questions.... on mapping and restaurants

Its in the desert, but hardly in the middle of nowhere. From LAX to the desert is nothing but suburbia for miles, you will get cell signals.

There are hundreds of restaurants in the valley. What type of food do you like?

Northern Virginia...
Level Contributor
395 posts
2. Re: questions.... on mapping and restaurants

We like upscale dining (any kind but seafood), and mostly love Italian food. Bar and grille is great too since we'll have the kids with us every meal. :)

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
68,365 posts
72 reviews
3. Re: questions.... on mapping and restaurants

Have you looked at Google maps??

You can use the search nearby function to see restaurants.

Here are some of them. I was not sure which Shadow Ridge location you meant:

https://goo.gl/maps/k7zmcTb5mtQ2

Palm Desert is a city so yes it is desert but it is not in the middle of nowhere.

Level Contributor
3,651 posts
1 review
4. Re: questions.... on mapping and restaurants

Hope you like it hot. It's over 100 with the temps falling out of the 90s at about 10PM.

Northern Virginia...
Level Contributor
395 posts
5. Re: questions.... on mapping and restaurants

Kids wanted to see the desert and it's 3 nights out of a 9 night trip, so while I prefer the dry heat over the moist heat we have at home, it's not ideal, I know, but our kids are very busy and we have to travel when we can. About to purchase personal necklace fans and will be prepped with lots of water. :)

Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
7,088 posts
57 reviews
6. Re: questions.... on mapping and restaurants

The Coachella Valley and the I-10 and SR 60 corridors all have excellent cell service. You would have to go really, really far out of your way to drop off the edge of the cell network. Also, if you are going anywhere near the edge of civilization, Google Maps has had an offline maps feature for six years, and offline navigation and directions for almost three years.

Corona del Mar...
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
59,919 posts
441 reviews
7. Re: questions.... on mapping and restaurants

You should read the travel guides linked below. They discuss restaurants, sights and more.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel_Guide-g32…

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,981 posts
3 reviews
8. Re: questions.... on mapping and restaurants

The family likes Papa Dan's on Country Club for Italian. Shermans Deli is there and Bristol Farms Market for some special items.

Desert Southwest US
Level Contributor
1,166 posts
3 reviews
9. Re: questions.... on mapping and restaurants

Shadow Ridge is incredibly easy to find. You will be exiting Monterey Avenue from Interstate 10, and it's literally a few miles south of the freeway.

There is also a Gelson's Market nearby with a great deli.

It is easy to get around in the Desert....especially this time of year. I wouldn't expect you'd have any issues at all.

Reply to: questions.... on mapping and restaurants
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Palm Desert