We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Palm Springs to Las Vegas

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Palm Springs to Las Vegas

We are coming from Australia and driving to Las Vegas on a Sunday. What is the quickest way to Las vegas? How long will it take? Which is the most scenic way. Thanks in advace for any replies!

Southern California
Level Contributor
998 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Palm Springs to Las Vegas

Quickest route is to take the 10 west to the 215 north to the 15 north. In my opinion, there is not really a scenic route. There is only desert between PS and LV.

Another route to consider would be to go through Yucca Valley and take the 62 north to the 247 north to the 15 north at Barstow. This might be more interesting but is quite desolate so stock up on gas before you leave.

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Palm Springs to Las Vegas

Thanks RBCal. How long will it take to drive there?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,736 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Palm Springs to Las Vegas

4 1/2 hours if you dont stop or get lost.

4 hours and 15 minutes if you really push it

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Palm Springs to Las Vegas

Maybe try to visit Joshua Tree NP from Palm Springs and go to LV.

This will add a couple of hours to your itinerary, but JTNP is worth the detour.

And there is a short cut through Mojave desert going Amboy, Kelso and Cima to LV but I did not drive that road myself.Maybe RBCal can inform you.

Tet

Southern California
Level Contributor
998 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Palm Springs to Las Vegas

Actually, the scenic route would be to go over to Arizona to see Jerome, Sedona and the Grand Canyon and then go up to LV. This is MUCH further but in my opinion the sites in Arizona are more interesting than Las Vegas. Everyone seems to think that they have to see Vegas, but I find that a day or two in Vegas is more than enough for me.

It would take 7 hours to drive to the Grand Canyon from PS and Las Vegas is 5 hours from the Grand Canyon. I would highly recommend spending the night in Jerome, AZ. It is an old mountain mining town that now is filled with art galleries and restaurants. The views from the mountain are amazing particularly at sunset.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Palm Springs to Las Vegas

Hi

I think LV is a must, but I agree, two days is enough for me too.

But about the scenic route Palm Springs-29 Palms north to LV (not to Az).

Hw 62 to Utah trl and Amboy Road to Amboy. Kelbaker Road to Kelso and on to I15 and LV. It's 4.5 hours as well and 250 miles. Maybe this is a more scenic road. What do you think RBCal.

Tet

Southern California
Level Contributor
998 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Palm Springs to Las Vegas

I've never taken that route. However I would not call the California desert and high desert very scenic with the exception of Joshua Tree.

The only scenic site going the quickest way (I-10 West to 215 to 15) would be Big Bear Lake and Lake Arrowhead. Tthe views from Rim of the World highway are very nice (if it is clear). This would add several hours to the trip to Vegas.

Venice Beach
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Palm Springs to Las Vegas

From Palm Springs, driving north on Hwy 62 through Yucca Valley, Joshua Tree, Twentynine Palms and then cutting over on Amboy Road to Amboy, then cutting up through the Mojave National Preserve and driving through Kelso to SEE THE INCREDIBLE KELSO DUNES and Cima up to Las Vegas is an AMAZINGLY SCENIC ROUTE ... it is worth the detour in Joshua Tree to drive through the park (you don't even have to get out of your car, though you will be tempted) on the loop that will drop you back into 29 Palms ... going on the interstates is definitely faster, but not nearly as spectacular ... I am not sure why RBCal thinks the desert is boring or desolate, it is really quite lush in the Mojave, as far as deserts go, and geographically beautiful - and stop at the extinct volcanic crater in Amboy if you have the chance ... you prolly won't have time to hike into it, but it's pretty amazing even from the parking lot ... the salt flats you would drive through that way are also pretty awe-inspiring ... and Kelso Dunes are the only dunes on that scale in North America ... GO THE SCENIC AND BEAUTIFUL BACK DESERT ROUTE IF YOU HAVE THE TIME ... cuz once you get to Las Vegas it's just all fake flash and glitz anyway.

england
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Palm Springs to Las Vegas

sounds good, how long will it take? can i do it in a day?

10. Re: Driving from Palm Springs to Las Vegas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 00:28