We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Portland,OR to Red Bluff

Singapore
Level Contributor
168 posts
60 reviews
Drive from Portland,OR to Red Bluff

Hey guy! First of all, let me thank you in advance for helping me in here. I'm from Singapore, and this will be my 2nd time visiting the US. However, this will be my 1st time visiting the US during Winter.

I will be spending 17 days in the states (LA - Palm Springs - Arizona - Vegas - Salt Lake - Boise - Portland - Red Bluff - San Francisco) (Mainly a golfing holiday)

I will post respective questions regarding different states in the respective forums.

Over here, I'd like to gather some info for my drive from Portland to Red Bluff. It will actually be a 1 night stopover to San Francisco. Would you recommend stopping over in Red Bluff or somewhere else?

Please try to bear with me as some of the questions I ask may seem stupid to you....but coming from Singapore where we have no winter & no snow.....:(

1) On google, it says the drive from Portland to Red Bluff is 7hrs. Is that accurate? What are the driving conditions like during Jan from Portland to Red Bluff? Is it congested? Weather? Is it rainy? Will it be snowing?

2) I have some friends who told me that it will be snowing big time in Jan. Is that true? If so, will the roads be covered with snow hence causing some delay in my trip? Is it safe to drive? I have checked with Hertz and they said their cars are installed with All Weather Tires. What time does it get dark? Will it be more dangerous if we drive in the dark? (Difficult to see road conditions, blindspots etc...)

We're planning to stay at the Best Western Antelope Inn (Red Bluff)...any comments?

Thanks so much for your precious time in helping me plan my trip easier. Appreciate it lots!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,551 posts
1,111 reviews
1. Re: Drive from Portland,OR to Red Bluff

Hi, I'm sure you're checking, but there are some answers to this post on the Oregon forum :-))

Singapore
Level Contributor
168 posts
60 reviews
2. Re: Drive from Portland,OR to Red Bluff

Ok half brit, will look dat up

Red Bluff, CA
Level Contributor
242 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Drive from Portland,OR to Red Bluff

Wow, you're going to stay in Red Bluff? Cool. I love it, but then I live here, so I might be a bit prejudiced.

Having said all that, I would suggest you consider a change in your itinerary. It is indeed often quite snowy between the Oregon border and Redding in January ( road closed white out conditions) All Weather tires won't do it and chains are often required so if you are not used to putting chains on your car and then driving long distances with chains, you might consider going on the coast between Portland and Oregon. A good halfway point will be Eureka. That way you can see the redwoods on the north coast of California. However, it is sometimes foggy and the road is windy so it will take you longer.

Of course, if this is a driving vacation, you will have already seen quite a bit of snow in Salt Lake City, Boise, and on the road to Portland. Are you prepared for this? Can you golf in Salt Lake in the snow? Any latitude north of San Francisco you can expect snow.

In fact, now that I am writing and thinking about it, you might want to reconsider the entire northern part of your itinerary. Would you consider replacing Salt Lake City with the Grand Canyon? (southern entrance only, the northern entrance is closed due to snow), more time in Arizona (Sedona, Phoenix, etc.) rather than Boise, Yosemite rather than Portland? I think you may have bit off more than you can chew snow-wise with this itinerary.

4. Re: Drive from Portland,OR to Red Bluff

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 12:19
Get answers to your questions about Red Bluff