We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Red Bluff, Redding or Chico?

Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
20 posts
31 reviews
Red Bluff, Redding or Chico?

Hi there, coming from Reno on the way to Medford (10.2013), what town of mentioned above would you recommend to stay for a night? or better pass them all and drive to Medford directly? Not a long way.

Nothing special to do, just maybe 1 or 2 -interesting- attractions , do the towns have some good attraction? Or better spend an extra night in Reno?

Thank you!

5 replies to this topic
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
33,560 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Red Bluff, Redding or Chico?

If you need an overnight, my choice would be Chico. Chico is a college town and will have more interesting places to eat, and etc. than a valley ag town. It has a nice park, as well (Bidwell).

Nevada
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
2. Re: Red Bluff, Redding or Chico?

I agree with Puter about Chico being a nice town (and very pretty). I lived there - well, 15 miles north of town. Daddy had a walnut orchard.

However, I think Chico is a bit too far southward traveling Reno to Medford.

My first job was in Red Bluff. Nothin special about Red Bluff.

I would probably vote for Redding. It is a larger town/small city. It is close to the Shasta Lake recreation areas, including Whiskeytown recreation area just a couple of miles west of Redding via highway 299. You could visit those areas and the Shasta Dam, if so inclined.

In October, the highway through Lassen National Park may or may not be open - due to weather. If it is open, that would be a very scenic, albeit slow, route to take between Reno and Redding. Enter the south entrance, then exit the north entrance of Lassen, then west on highway 44. OR, after exiting Lassen on the north, continue north on 89 all the way to highway 299, then west to Redding. Heck, if you get all the way to highway 89 and 299, you might as well go another 5 miles north on 89 to MacArthur Burney Falls State Park and take the little trail down to the falls. They are very spectacular!

Why didn't MacArthur Burney State Park have an automatic link? Maybe this time it will have one since I spelled it differently!

Edited: 16 June 2013, 14:20
Nevada
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
3. Re: Red Bluff, Redding or Chico?

Let's try MacArthur-Burney Falls State Park. See if an auto link is available.

Edited: 16 June 2013, 14:22
Sacramento, CA
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
4,556 posts
43 reviews
4. Re: Red Bluff, Redding or Chico?

Along the lines of the above post.

I would take the scenic route through either Quincy or Susanville and stay at the Mcloud hotel or similar.

Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
20 posts
31 reviews
5. Re: Red Bluff, Redding or Chico?

Wow, thanks a lot for suggestions! I will consider it!

Well, since Im on holidays and never have been to North California so that fine with the route through Chico or even Susanville to Medford,

Thank you very much!!!

Reply to: Red Bluff, Redding or Chico?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Red Bluff