We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving from Red Bluff to Fortuna on HW 36

Koolewong, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
driving from Red Bluff to Fortuna on HW 36

Hi can anyone tell me what to expect driving Hw 36 in early January ? . We are planning to drive from Red Bluff to Redcrest via 36 . (or are we being a little ambitious ) we will have 4 X 4 with snow tires. Family of 4 from Australia.Thanks in advance

T & A

9 replies to this topic
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
18,184 posts
120 reviews
1. Re: driving from Red Bluff to Fortuna on HW 36

That's a pretty narrow, curvy road and I *think* there are some dirt/gravel sections still. Snow shouldn't be a problem, but rain might be. I'd check the weather and road conditions before heading out. If it's raining, I'd take a different route.

Eureka, California
Level Contributor
3,421 posts
35 reviews
2. Re: driving from Red Bluff to Fortuna on HW 36

That is one of those "it depends" questions. It is a beautiful drive but services/towns are few and far between. If we have a snowy winter like we are all hoping for, you could run into plenty of snow at certain places. As asvised above, check the weather and the CalTrans website before setting out. Do not expect to have cell phone reception along highway 36.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
71 reviews
3. Re: driving from Red Bluff to Fortuna on HW 36

Drove it in June. It is much improved all paved, but probably not a great idea in January especially if you are not use to snowy mountain roads,

Still a lovely drive with a nice redwood park (Grisly) toward the end.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,551 posts
1,111 reviews
4. Re: driving from Red Bluff to Fortuna on HW 36

See post #1. No mobile phone service. Lots of curves. Slow.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
8,431 posts
20 reviews
5. Re: driving from Red Bluff to Fortuna on HW 36

Why would you need to be driving that route in January? Let us know the rest of your plans and maybe we could suggest a better route.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
71 reviews
6. Re: driving from Red Bluff to Fortuna on HW 36

P 1 Just for your info I have driven this road in the Winter & had lots of snow cover at the higher elevations. Of course as others have stated who knows how much we will get this year?

Brisbane...
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
7. Re: driving from Red Bluff to Fortuna on HW 36

DON'T! Just drove this (Fortuna to Red Bluff direction) in good weather with only a few slowdowns for road work. Took 4 HOURS (I'm a cautious driver) and there are NO SERVICES like BATHROOMS, along the way. Got to Red Bluff and hit the first gas station... LINES for the potty of folks who just did the same ride, literally. If you do, be sure to eat, use the restroom, and refrain from liquids until you get to the other side, and don't even THINK ABOUT IT in rain or snow!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,551 posts
1,111 reviews
8. Re: driving from Red Bluff to Fortuna on HW 36

Hello Madeleine R, welcome to the forums. If you check the date on the posts in this thread, you'll see that they are from 2014 :-)

The original poster never returned to tell us whether or not they drove this road, but thanks for adding to the general information about it.

Palm Desert...
1 post
9. Re: driving from Red Bluff to Fortuna on HW 36

Just drove Hwy 36 from Red Bluff as 299 was rerouted do the Carr Fire and the Trinity fire make sure you have a full tank only gas was on hwy 3 at Hayfork and 36 was closed just west of Hwy 3 poor road information held my breath that the road closure was west of the 3. The road has been repaved and is in very good shape. In the 80 miles II traveled I came upon 4 cars max lots of smoke in the canyons blood pressure went down after finding Hwy. I would not consider this route in the winter esp with family to many other routes 299 should be open and is beautiful 9/23/18

Reply to: driving from Red Bluff to Fortuna on HW 36
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Red Bluff