We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacation Rental for St Helena and Calistoga Area

San Diego...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Vacation Rental for St Helena and Calistoga Area

Hello,

My husband and I are going to a wedding in September that is in Calistoga. The bride and groom suggested looking for accomodation in St Helena or Calistoga, but have provided little else. We're hoping to rent a house with two other couple and I'm having a hard time finding anything. Any suggestions??

The wedding is at hans fahden, and the rehearsal dinner at Baldacci (yes, we have to travel all over the area for this thing).

Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Napa, CA
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vacation Rental for St Helena and Calistoga Area

Fox-

You've read our reply to the same question on the Napa forums by now, but we're putting the link here for other folks, so they don't get into trouble! :)

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g32766-i258-k43427…

-The Innkeepers

Napa Old World Inn

Napa, CA
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vacation Rental for St Helena and Calistoga Area

fox-

Wowzers, we can see your confusion-- we just clicked on the "Vacation Rentals" link on the front page of TripAdvisor Napa Valley, and saw that the ILLEGAL vacation rentals are posted right alongside the legal ones!

This is quite a shock for us-- we have no idea why TA would allow this.

So it's "buyer beware"-- check out the link in the above post, which has links to recent newspaper articles that document that the Napa Board of Supervisors have ruled Vacation Rentals in the Napa Valley ILLEGAL.

And again, we're sorry for these harsh words--- if we didn't hear or see these awful situations first hand, we wouldn't stress this so much. But it is a very real problem, and clearly, it's still happening, even though the Napa Sheriff makes big news each year shutting down these illegal rentals and taking owners to court for tens or thousands-- or even hundreds of thousands-- of dollars-- in unpaid taxes.

So please, be careful. We just want you-- and everyone who visits the Napa Valley-- to have a good time. Coming here and finding you're out your deposit, and have no place to stay, is a terrible way to begin a vacation.

Cheers,

-The Innkeepers

Napa Old World Inn

Edited: 24 March 2011, 12:07
San Diego...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Vacation Rental for St Helena and Calistoga Area

Old World, I cannot thank you enough to alerting me to this. We are traveling for a wedding a lot of people are looking to rent houses, the bride and groom aren't even aware of this (they should've done their leg work instead of telling us vacation rentals is a cost effective option, arrgh).

I guess my next question is, would you recommend booking a vacation rental in the city of Napa and trekking it to Calistoga for the wedding? Or is that drive just too much?

Thanks!

Yountville...
Level Contributor
239 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Vacation Rental for St Helena and Calistoga Area

We will jump in and say that if most of your wedding-related activities are going to be centered in Calistoga (and presumably on a weekend), you will definitely want to centralize yourself closer to that area (vs. staying in Napa). It's a 40 minute drive and often longer with traffic during the summer and especially on weekends. Calistoga is one of the more affordable towns as far as lodgings go. Look into the Hideaway Cottages or the EuroSpa & Inn.

Good luck with your travel planning!

The Tour Guides

Napa Valley Bike Tours

napa, ca
Level Contributor
915 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vacation Rental for St Helena and Calistoga Area

Mille Vigne in St Helena is amazing and the owner Rebecaa will make your stay memorable. She has different options so a few couples would fit perfectly. The view is from the movie Walk in the Clouds and there are great wineries within walking distance. I'm sure she would be very helpful with logistics and making your stay wonderful and less stressful.

6. Re: Vacation Rental for St Helena and Calistoga Area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 09:19