We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Time from Los Angeles

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
13 posts
45 reviews
Driving Time from Los Angeles

Hi,

We are planning a trip to southern California this summer and are trying to determine driving times to different places. I think the times listed on Mapquest may not be realistic, after talking to some friends. We will be staying at the W in West LA. How long a drive is it to:

- Anaheim Angels stadium

- Hearst Castle

- San Diego Zoo

- Santa Barbara

Thanks.

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,914 posts
9 reviews
1. Re: Driving Time from Los Angeles

Estimating Drive times in Southern California is a bit like predicting the weather. But here goes on some "predictions" from West Hollywood...

Angels Stadium - 50 to 60 minutes (Dodger Stadium is WAY closer, but I'm guess you are wanting to see the Sox play the Angels while you are here)

Hearst Castle - 4 1/2 hours plus stops along the way.

San Diego Zoo - 2 to 2 1/2 hours

Santa Barbara - 90 minutes

All of these are assuming a normal traffic flow and are heavily dependent on time of day, accidents, yada, yada, yada. Doing any of these in rush hour could add 30 to 60 minutes.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
13 posts
45 reviews
2. Re: Driving Time from Los Angeles

I have heard that the driving times can vary by time of day, day of week, etc. Thanks for the estimates - and yes, we are planning to see the Red Sox at Anaheim. We thought we might have an easy time getting tickets, but found they are already sold out on line - guess we will be going the scalper route.

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
618 posts
31 reviews
3. Re: Driving Time from Los Angeles

I love the W in West LA, good choice.

As for the W to Santa Barbara, I think it will take you 1 hour and 45 minutes without traffic. I would leave at 9:00 a.m. to head up to SB. With the main traffic getting from Wilshire Blvd to the 101 on the 405 freeway and then light traffic getting from the 101 out of the San Fernando Valley heading West/North on the 101. Once you get to Calabasas you shouldn't hit traffic again.

As for the W to Hearst Castle, Hearst Castle takes me 2 hours and 30 minutes to get to from Santa Barbara and you shouldn't hit much of any traffic between SB and the Castle.

As for the W to Anaheim Staduium, that drive can be a complete mess. Maybe someone in the Los Angeles forum can give you a better idea of when and where to drive to best avoid traffic for the game.

4. Re: Driving Time from Los Angeles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 16:17