We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the Fess Parker Double Tree worth staying at?

Which Santa Barbara hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
5,359 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Is the Fess Parker Double Tree worth staying at?

I've read many of the reviews on the Fess Parker Double Tree Hotel but I'm still not sure. We stayed at the "Town & Country Resort" in San Diego last year and hated everything about it because it seemed straight out of the 1970's without any updates even though we paid a fairly high price for it. Almost felt like an old Brady Bunch episode! This Double Tree sort of gives me the same feeling by looking at the web site, old, not updated...and straight out of the 1970's when Fess Parker was a well known actor. I love the location of this place but I'm hoping someone can give me a little reassurance. Thanks!

Santa Barbara, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Barbara, Channel Islands National Park
Level Contributor
806 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the Fess Parker Double Tree worth staying at?

Hi Clint - What is your budget? If you want a hotel that offers newer construction, you could try the Canary, the Spanish Garden Inn or the Bacara. The Fess Parker is very nice and they offer great guest services and a good location - it is right across from the beach. Feel free to DM me if you need more information. -Suz

Level Contributor
33,367 posts
871 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the Fess Parker Double Tree worth staying at?

If you want a nice hotel, right across the street from the ocean, The Harbor View Inn is really nice. :)

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,854 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the Fess Parker Double Tree worth staying at?

The Doubletree is one of the nicer beachfront properties in Santa Barbara, and unlike Fess's other properties, was built and renovated well after Fess was on television. SB does make some attempt to keep its building projects consistent with its much-older-than-the-1970's history, though, so the idea of the Doubletree was that it was supposed to have some Spanish influence.

The Harbor View Inn is really nice, has character, but I'm not sure it is any less dated than the Doubletree. If it's latest room updates that you want, I agree that the Spanish Garden Inn (venerable on the outside, very pretty) and Canary are probably your best choices (if they have rooms for your dates).

To me it's odd to hate "everything" about a property because it looks like it comes from a different era, and I invite you to look closely at the pictures for the above-named properties, because you might think they come straight out of the 1890's (if you find that the Spanish colonial details take you back in time).

Can you give an example of a hotel you actually liked?

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,854 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the Fess Parker Double Tree worth staying at?

Actually, I'm thinking the San Ysidro Ranch is perhaps the only property that's really modern and updated (the lovely Spanish Garden Inn is somewhat rustic) and the Canary may not be up to your expectations either. Brisas del Mar is another option, though not right on the beach, it's close. San Ysidro Ranch isn't right on the beach either, but it is a resort environment.

The thing is, all California beach towns try to some degree to keep their past alive, which may come across as less than modern. This is especially true for properties right on the beach (their interior decor shouldn't be affected, but perhaps it is - years of beach goers in and out of a property leaves a certain feel...)

Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
5,795 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the Fess Parker Double Tree worth staying at?

Clint, I think I know what you mean, and the Fess Parker may indeed not be your cup of tea. There are a lot of other places to stay in Santa Barbara, so perhaps choose another-- and while there, take a look at the Fess Parker for future reference. See if your gut feeling was right.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
18,765 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the Fess Parker Double Tree worth staying at?

We've stayed at the Fess Parker the last 6 visits with family, and we love the Spanish style of the resort. There are so many activities and amenities on the beautifully landscaped 24 acres, right across from the beach. We reserve the ocean front rooms and enjoy sitting on the balcony with morning coffee or glass of wine at sunset.

What is your budget? I understand you can score some great rates now as they renovate the rooms building by building. The staff is very friendly and you get a warm chocolate chip cookie at check in.

California
Level Contributor
5,359 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is the Fess Parker Double Tree worth staying at?

Thanks for all your help. I have nothing against staying in an older property as long as the interior has been remodeled over the years. On our trip to the "Town & Country" in San Diego last year, the room itself was still original from the 1970's. Furniture, shag carpets and all. Looking to spend around $200. a night.

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
210 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is the Fess Parker Double Tree worth staying at?

Can you even get a room at Double Tree for $200 per night???

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
21,246 posts
5,010 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is the Fess Parker Double Tree worth staying at?

We have stayed at both - the one in San Diego several years ago due to a convention. And I know what you mean.

You will find Fess Parker nicer than that - but I must admit, the rooms themselves will remind you of the Town and Country....with a Santa Barbara price.

The good news is that it is in a much better location than Town and Country - just realize that there is a busy street between the hotel and the beach. its not directly on the beach.

The restaurant and patio areas while older have a much better charm than Town and Country. Since its Spanish style, it feels right. Do I like the food there - no, its average so we chose after our first meal to eat off property at the nicer restaurants in the area.

I like the beaches around Santa Barbara but overall the price/value of Santa Barbara is higher than I (in my little humble opinion - as many will disagree) is higher than it should be.

Edited: 16 September 2013, 16:47
California
Level Contributor
5,359 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is the Fess Parker Double Tree worth staying at?

We are staying mid-week in October and it looks we can get a room for under $200. a night so it might be the way to go for us. Harbor View Inn looks great but the price is $100. a night more. Thanks for all the help.