We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best ocean view rooms and restaurants for a birthday visit?

Auburn, CA
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Best ocean view rooms and restaurants for a birthday visit?

Will be visiting in early March (midweek) for my birthday with my husband. Am an Ocean girl who now lives in the foothills, so an ocean view is required on holidays. Have stayed at the Dream Inn and liked it. Considering the West Cliff Inn and the Sand and Sea as well. The Sand and Sea has a room and dinner package with a $75 credit for one of 4 restaurants: Casablanca, The Crow's Nest, Clouds Downtown and the Miramar Seafood Grotto.

Which would be best for a romantic dinner with great food?

Was wondering how the quality of rooms at Sand and Sea compare with the Dream Inn? Also wondering about privacy, sleeping with curtains open to see the view, and people walking along in front. (Dream in enters from street side.)

Any recommendations would be welcome.

Thanks!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
33,484 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Best ocean view rooms and restaurants for a birthday visit?

As you may know, you get the same view from the Sea and Sand as you do from the Dream Inn. Not all of the rooms at the West Cliff Inn have views, and it is not on the water but across West Cliff Drive from the Municipal Wharf.

As for room quality. I have not been inside the Sea and Sand for several years. The Dream Inn was purchased by joie' d'vivre a couple of so years ago and completely rehabbed. All of the rooms have either a patio or balcony facing the Bay. It also has a bar and restaurant, whereas the Sea and Sand does not. The restaurant there, Aquarius, is very nice.

The Sea and Sand gets good reviews, however. As for its restaurant credit. I would not choose the Miramar. It is on the Wharf and the quality there is not great. The Casablanca is just down Beach Street from those hotels, across from the Boardwalk, I wouldn't call it romantic. Nor would I call Clouds Downtown. It has good food but can be rather noisy. That leaves the Crow's Nest, which is at the Yacht Harbor and will give you views. If it is daylight you can watch the sailboats come in.

I don't remember whether the Sea and Sand has a walkway in front of the rooms. You know that nobody will walk in front of your room at the Dream Inn.

…trvlclick.com/hotels/dream

If you decide on the Dream Inn I would suggest Shadowbrook for a romantic dinner. This is on the banks of Soquel Creek in Capitola. You can ride a little funicular from the street down to the restaurant. This restaurant I would call romantic and worth of a birthday. Get a window table.

http://www.shadowbrook-capitola.com/

I don't remember whether the Sea and Sand has a walkway in front of the rooms. You know that nobody will walk in front of your room at the Dream Inn.

Cutting to the chase, my own recommendation would be for staying at the Dream Inn with dinner at Shadowbrook.

Happy Birthday !

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,865 posts
86 reviews
2. Re: Best ocean view rooms and restaurants for a birthday visit?

I enthusiastically agree with Puter's recommendation of Shadowbrook. It's always been my restaurant of choice in Santa Cruz for a romantic, special dinner with a beautiful, unique setting AND good food.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
33,484 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Best ocean view rooms and restaurants for a birthday visit?

If you decide on Shadowbrook, they have a special treat for birthdays and anniversaries. Just tell them when you make the reservation.

Auburn, CA
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Best ocean view rooms and restaurants for a birthday visit?

Thanks so much for all your input.

We have long been familiar with the Shadowbrook and love it. Stayed at the Dream Inn and had dinner at the Shadowbrook for our 20th Anniversary last October, so was wondering if we might be missing something new and wonderful. Always like to try new things.

Are there any ocean view rooms closer to Capitola?

We like to stay and walk or cab it, since we enjoy libations with our dinner.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
33,484 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Best ocean view rooms and restaurants for a birthday visit?

I think you have already experienced just about the best we have to offer. I don't know of any quality ocean front lodgings south of here except perhaps Seascape Resort, which sit there all by itself.

Chaminade, which sits on a hill above town has lodgings and two restaurants with lovely views of the ocean from afar, but the lodgings do not have the view.

I might suggest that you look at the menu at Aquarius, the restaurant in the Dream Inn, and also at Casablanca, which is within walking distance.

Level Contributor
39,045 posts
1,014 reviews
6. Re: Best ocean view rooms and restaurants for a birthday visit?

We also love Shadowbrook in Capitola. Seascape Resort has a restaurant there called Sanderlings which I have heard wonderful things about. Let us know where you end up! :)

7. Re: Best ocean view rooms and restaurants for a birthday visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2012, 05:20
Get answers to your questions about Santa Cruz