We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo Traveler Looking For Lodging recommendation

M H
Northern Virginia...
Level Contributor
151 posts
661 reviews
Solo Traveler Looking For Lodging recommendation

I'm attending a conference at UCSC this summer and have plane tickets to arrive two days early so I can enjoy the beach and town before the event begins.

I'm looking for a hotel or B and B, preferably next to or close to the ocean (I am renting a car) for two nights. I'm also looking for a safe location/lodging for a single female traveler.

So far, I've taken a look at websites and reviews for Seaway Inn, Pacific Blue Inn, Chamindale Resort, and Beach Street Inn. I'd prefer a room with an ocean view but don't want to spend more than $500 for the two nights (looks like the ocean view isn't going to be doable on a weekend!).

I plan to walk along the beach and boardwalk and walk around downtown. I'm also open to staying away from Santa Cruz as long as I'm in walking distance to the ocean. Any suggestions will be appreciated!

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
1. Re: Solo Traveler Looking For Lodging recommendation

I have stayed at Seaway and really thought the room was clean. Each unit has a little outside seating. They have afternoon cookies and a breakfast. If you got an upper floor your view would be a bit better but the first floor is not bad. It's directly across from the Dream Inn so the beach, easy walk to the Boardwalk.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
33,485 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Solo Traveler Looking For Lodging recommendation

I think the Seaway Inn is your best bet in your price range. As mentioned it is across from the Dream Inn and the Sea and Sand, which are both right on the water. You might look at them to see if they have a special or something.

I would not choose any place further towards the Boardwalk.

M H
Northern Virginia...
Level Contributor
151 posts
661 reviews
3. Re: Solo Traveler Looking For Lodging recommendation

I appreciate the time you've taken to reply but am am frankly curious that you both recommend only one lodging destination of over 100 in the town. I also notice that one or both of you recommend this one lodging site only in other posts. I find this single recommendation of one motel/hotel quite interesting. Why is this one place the only place to be recommended of more than 100?

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
32,793 posts
6,431 reviews
4. Re: Solo Traveler Looking For Lodging recommendation

If you are in town longer for the conference and have a car, you might also want to consider spending a night in Monterey or Carmel. For example, Monterey Beach Resort in Monterey is on a nice location on the ocean.

bestwesterncalifornia.com/hotels/best-wester…

It is only an hour or so (perhaps a bit longer in traffic) to Monterey.

From this hotel, you can walk directly from your room to the ocean....lots to do in the area. Perhaps spend 1/2 a day exploring Santa Cruz as you are also there for the conference.

The drive from Santa Cruz to Monterey is quite nice....It would also be close enough to enjoy Pt. Lobos and more

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=571

There are a lot of motels in Santa Cruz - not that many with ocean views and those that do cost more.

Pacific Grove...
Destination Expert
for Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Monterey County
Level Contributor
5,399 posts
25 reviews
5. Re: Solo Traveler Looking For Lodging recommendation

Booklover, I can't speak for either Puter or Suzie-travels, but I can say that I've known both of them via this site for a long time. They both are very honest and go out of their way to help people. Perhaps I misunderstood your remark, but If you're concerned that they have some affiliation with the hotel mentioned, I can assure that it's not the case. I can also tell you that with the very specific requirements you mentioned, you will be limited in your choices. Even in Monterey, there are not that many hotels or inns next to or very close to the water, and many of them are expensive. I suspect that that's also the case in Santa Cruz. Puter will correct me if I'm wrong.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
33,485 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Solo Traveler Looking For Lodging recommendation

bookloevert52.

We were trying to find something within your budget with at least a partial ocean view. The Dream Inn across the street, and the Sea and Sand Inn I would recommend highly, but I am afraid will be over your budget in the summer. By all means look at their websites for your dates. Every room in the Dream Inn, which is joie d'vivre hotel, has either a patio or balcony facing the Bay. The Sea and Sand is is just next door and is a smaller, more personal property.

The rest of the area around the Boardwalk I would not suggest for a single woman. Not knowing the area, you could run into some shady parts, and most of the motels in that area are, frankly, tacky, and the Boardwalk takes up most of the beachfront from the Dream Inn to the San Lorenzo River, so an ocean view is not common.

There are not "100's" of ocean view accommodations here, sorry.

I will try not to be insulted by your remarks.

FYI, Chaminade is on a hill high above the town of Aptos and the rooms do not have views. It is a former Marinist school and monastery, and the former monastery and school, which is now the restaurant building, has views and is lovely. But it has distant views. The rooms are newer and motel-like.

Beach Street Inn sits on top of Beach Hill and some of the rooms have ocean views. According to the website these run around $325. This was recently remodeled from a rather run down past.

Pacific Blue Inn is brand new and the website is well done. Be aware that while this is within walking distance of the Bay, there is no view and it is on Lower Pacific Avenue, a not very interesting neighborhood. There are no other accommodations in that area and only one restaurant....Chinese.

If you can live without an oceanfront or oceanview room I will suggest a B & B which comes highly recommended. (I have not stayed here, of course, being a local.)

http://www.adobeongreen.com/rooms.html

This is very near town, and downtown Santa Cruz is very pretty with tree-lined Pacific Avenue full of bookstores and boutiques and sidewalk cafes. Adobe Green looks to be within your budget. There is another 'destination expert' for Santa Cruz, PacificAve. You might send her a private message if she does not see this thread. She is the one who alerted me to it.

http://www.adobeongreen.com/rooms.html

I am sorry we do not have the type of accommodations in Santa Cruz you prefer, but I wish you good luck in finding a great place. Do try to get in touch with PacificAve. I am leaving for Russia in the morning, so will not be available for more suggestions.

Enjoy your conference. If you have not been here before, you will enjoy the campus. It is 2,000 acres of meadows and forest with separate colleges in clusters, leaving open space. The view of the Bay and Monterey as you drive up Coolidge Drive is spectacular.

Sadly, growth has added a lot more buildings than when I came here as a faculty wife lots of years ago.

Cheers.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
33,485 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: Solo Traveler Looking For Lodging recommendation

Okay,

Before I go to bed here is another possibility. This is a motel two blocks back from the Dream Inn. No view, but a pool. I know nothing of the quality, but the location would allow you to walk down by the water and out on the Municipal Pier and talk to the colony of sea lions there, and even ride the Big Dipper at the Boardwalk, if you dare. :~)

http://www.theoceanpacificlodge.com/

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
8. Re: Solo Traveler Looking For Lodging recommendation

Well personally I only recommend places I have actually stayed in. I stayed at the Dream Inn but why would I recommend that place when you clearly would not want to pay the price? It's very much outside your price range. I could also recommend the West Cliff Inn B & B but why? You don't want to pay that much?

t's not like I have stayed at 100 places in Santa Cruz. Most people who find a place that suits their needs they return to it. Los of places in Santa Cruz are complete dumps.

M H
Northern Virginia...
Level Contributor
151 posts
661 reviews
9. Re: Solo Traveler Looking For Lodging recommendation

I sincerely don't mean to be snarky and am sorry if I came across that way, but I've never been on a forum and only received one venue recommendation.

I do realize California beach property is pricey (my parents lived in the San Luis Obispo area for 25 years).

I was hoping to get several options under $250 a night. I've done some additional investigating and have found some at TA reviews.

I sincerely appreciate your feedback.

I must say the photos posted for Seaway Inn cause me to judge it in "the dump" category. Maybe the photos don't do it justice.

Cheers-

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
10. Re: Solo Traveler Looking For Lodging recommendation

1. Santa Cruz does not have an abundance of really nice beachfront properties. Even the Dream Inn, before it was renovated, was dump-like. Now it is very nice but in the summer you likely could not get it for $250 per night.

2. We were taking the cues from your list and commented on the hotels you asked about.

3. Lots of the area along the beach and Boardwalk where many beachfront hotels are located are not recommended for solo female travelers.

4. You imply that we are recommending the property based on something other than our own experience which is pretty insulting considering we have nothing to gain and simply enjoy sharing our experiences with other travelers.

5. If you think the Seaway is in the dump category you should spend some time while you are in Santa Cruz looking around at other choices.

5. If your visit does not include a weekend night you could see if you could get the Dream Inn or West Cliff Inn B&B which is just across the street from the Dream Inn and next to Seaway.

Good luck. Safe travels.

Get answers to your questions about Santa Cruz