We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few questions from a novice US visitor

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
52 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
A few questions from a novice US visitor

This is our first visit to USA me and a friend and we would be arriving from NYC on September 1st. We will be staying for 5 days at The Shore.

I have a few questions in mind and excuse me if they sound stupid.

We are planning to hire a car from Sixt, there's one at the hotel. Would it be better to grab the car from LAX or the Sixt branch in The Shore ? After check out we will drive to Las Vegas, stay 2 nights, check out then head back straight to LAX to leave USA.

Another thing is that we plan to drive to a premium outlet in Camarillo on Monday 4th of September. We chose that day because it's the first week day and we thought would not be as busy as other weekend days. So apparently labor day happens to be on the same day, Is labor day a public holiday ? Should we choose another day ? Also are there any nice places we can stop over on the way from SM to Camarillo just to grab a bite/drink and take some photos ?

I thank everyone in advance and I am sorry if the post is long.

Los Angeles City Tour
285 reviews
from US$84.00*
Los Angeles and Hollywood Small-Group...
41 reviews
from US$198.99*
Special Offer
Best of Los Angeles Tour from Anaheim
202 reviews
from US$57.99*
US$67.99
Los Angeles Hop-On Hop-Off...
570 reviews
from US$49.00*
10 replies to this topic
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
64,359 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A few questions from a novice US visitor

Hi,

Yes, Labor Day is a Monday public holiday and that whole long weekend is a busy travel time. Your plans are quite confusing to me? Why not do your outlet shopping in/near Las Vegas instead of a day to drive to Camarillo?? Not sure but I think there are lower taxes in Las Vegas than in the mall in California.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
29,280 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A few questions from a novice US visitor

Skip Camarillo, there are better outlets in Vegas.

If there's a Sixt at your hotel, then that sounds more convenient. You won't need a car the first couple days if you plan to just spend the time in Santa Monica (which is a good idea).

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
19,480 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A few questions from a novice US visitor

Don't waste your precious beach time, at premium prices, to then go to an outlet mall for the day! When you leave for Vegas, you'll pass some, and Vegas has plenty of shopping, too. That's where to shop.

Stay and enjoy that beach town, Los Angeles, Malibu - Do your outlet shopping when you are in a less interesting place, like the journey to Vegas.

Here are outlet malls along I-10 towards Vegas

www.premiumoutlets.com/outlet/desert-hills

https://vacationpalmsprings.com/Palm-Springs…

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
52 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A few questions from a novice US visitor

Thank you guys, great tips, we have adjusted our schedule and will be shopping in Las Vegas, accordingly we won't rent the car until we check out and travel to las vegas, we will be using Uber/lyft around Santa Monica & LA.

I searched and there are good outlets in Las Vegas. But I thought I would be driving via I-15 not I-10 towards vegas ? Please correct me if I am wrong.

And another question please. If we check out from Vegas around 9-10 AM, would we reach LAX comfortably before our flight at 6 PM ?

San Mateo...
Level Contributor
1,767 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A few questions from a novice US visitor

" But I thought I would be driving via I-15 not I-10 towards vegas ?"

From Santa Monica, you'd be taking I10 to I15 and , you are correct, those outlets mentioned in the above links are not on the way to Vegas. There is one at the junction of I10-I15 exchange and , of course, other ones in Vegas.

"And another question please. If we check out from Vegas around 9-10 AM, would we reach LAX comfortably before our flight at 6 PM ?"

You should be ok.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
64,359 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A few questions from a novice US visitor

I would leave as early as I could to drive back to LA.

IF you leave at 10 you may well get to the airport on time but you never know about timing/traffic, returning the car etc so I'd want some extra time to spare. I always prefer being early at an airport than trying to rush.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
19,480 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A few questions from a novice US visitor

Shoot! Sorry, yes, you'll take the I-10 to the 215, so won't get as far as Palm Springs.

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
31,959 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A few questions from a novice US visitor

Rather than have a long drive on the last day of your visit followed by a long flight home, why not drop the car in Las Vegas and take a cheap 1 hour flight to LAX via southwest.com? You really don't need a car whilst in Vegas if you plan to spend most of your time along the Las Vegas Strip. There are many other ways to get around. e.g. walking, taking the Deuce Bus (which runs up and down the strip), taxis, etc.

Driving up and down the strip in your own car sounds really fast and easy but you'll find that since valet parking at the major hotels is free, there can be huge queues at the valet parking areas so you could wait 10 or 15 minutes easily for your car. Trust me: dump the car early and fly back to L.A.

If I've caluclated properly, you'll be flying home on the 8th. On that day, Southwest's fare is $42 from LAS to LAX! They have departures at 5:40 am with others at 6:35, 8:25, 11:35, 12:35 and 13:30. Flight time is 1 hour, 10 minutes so if your international departure is at 6 pm, you'll want to be at your DEPARTURE terminal at LAX by 15:30 pm, the latest. The above 13:30 departure arrives at LAX at 14:40, enough time to retrieve your luggage and make it to your onward flight. If you're worried about the connection, take the 12:35 departure.

Book now. Southwest's prices rise, in general, as you get closer to your flight date.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
52 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A few questions from a novice US visitor

We have of course thought of flying to LV instead of driving, the only obstacle was that we would be carrying many bags, some of which may even exceed 23 KG.

I am checking for all the flight options from LV to LAX now.

Thanks HopSkipJump for highlighting Southwest, it never appeared on flights search engines such as skyscanner, and it is definitely cheaper than all the other airlines with better baggage allowance.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
52 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A few questions from a novice US visitor

I have tried booking a car now from SM and set the drop point to LV, the price more than doubles.

Any recommendation which rental company to use who doesn't charge loads for dropping in a different zone.

Reply to: A few questions from a novice US visitor
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Santa Monica
Recent Conversations