We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Carmel (SM) vs. Hilton Garden or Marriott (MDR)

Arizona
Level Contributor
10 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Carmel (SM) vs. Hilton Garden or Marriott (MDR)

We want to spend 1.5 days near the beach with two teenage girls. We want to stay at a place that is close to the beach, has good dining options and nice areas to walk around. We want clean, functional rooms that are in a safe, pleasant environment (not looking for luxuries). I found Hotel Carmel in Santa Monica and either the Hilton Garden or the Marriott on Washington Blvd in Marina Del Rey/Venice to be in our price range. Based on the reviews, it appears the Marriott and the Hilton may offer better rooms. However, the proximity to the SM attractions makes the Carmel attractive. I am not familiar with the environments around these hotels. I would appreciate any input on these choices or any others that you would suggest. Thanks in advance for your help.

3 replies to this topic
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,752 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Carmel (SM) vs. Hilton Garden or Marriott (MDR)

Hotel Carmel is the best on your list for location.

MdR is the worst on your list for location, really ugly area that sits on the freeway.

Hilton Garden is in a nice area of Marina del Rey and you can walk to Venice.

Look into Jamaica Bay Inn - it's easily in your price range and is the best in terms of having a pool, being on a beach (it's the Marina, however), and having water sports and other things on site. I have friends staying there now, they love it (are with teen girls) and have rented a car for the day to go to Malibu which they found extremely easy. They Ubered to the Pier for $8 (which is less than parking) and were happy to come back to the peaceful area afterward.

San Mateo...
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Carmel (SM) vs. Hilton Garden or Marriott (MDR)

For only 1.5 days? Stay at the Carmel. There's lots to do there without having to drive or Uber around.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
18,680 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Carmel (SM) vs. Hilton Garden or Marriott (MDR)

Stay in Santa Monica, the other two aren't as walkable.

Reply to: Hotel Carmel (SM) vs. Hilton Garden or Marriott (MDR)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted