We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Portland to Santa Monica

Charlestown...
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Portland to Santa Monica

My daughter and I are thinking of flying into Portland and driving to Santa Monica. We have 2-3 days to do this. Would appreciate advice on most scenic route, suggestions on towns to stay in, motel suggestions and any places we must stop to see. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
20,868 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Portland to Santa Monica

Because of the distance between Portland and Santa Monica, you don't have time to do an entirely scenic drive. You could do the Oregon coast, then take an inland route through the California redwoods, then continue on Hwy. 101 south to Santa Monica. This will be 20 hours of straight driving, however, so at least 4 full days of driving with stops for sightseeing, breaks, meals, etc.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
58,117 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Portland to Santa Monica

why would you want to do this over 2 days ? Where is the time to see much on close to a 1000 mile drive ? One way rental car and perhaps one overnight stop.

Do you just want to drive and drive and drive.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
22,018 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Portland to Santa Monica

Doesn't Southwest Airline fly between Portland and LA? That's what I'd do. Or choose San Francisco as your end point instead.

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
19,683 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Portland to Santa Monica

As said, 2 days is only enough to drive straight from Portland to Santa Monica taking the quickest route. 3 days is not enough to do the scenic drive. It is tight even doing half of the scenic drive.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,868 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Portland to Santa Monica

See my response on the Oregon forum.

LA
Level Contributor
11,479 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Portland to Santa Monica

That;s going to be a straight-through drive on I-5. You will only see gas stations, gas station bathrooms, roadside motels, and fast food joints.

Ugh

Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
6,818 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Portland to Santa Monica

Concur with the others, your plan is totally nuts. It takes an entire week minimum to tour that distance properly. 2-3 days means you won't be able to stray far from Interstate 5 to go see anything. For example, Yosemite requires a day because of its distance from the freeway, severe traffic congestion, and a nasty parking shortage, but you don't have any time to spare to deal with that.

Edited: 11 June 2017, 15:47
8. Re: Driving from Portland to Santa Monica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2018, 01:18
Get answers to your questions about Santa Monica
Recent Conversations