We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacation with kids -- Santa Monica or Marina del Rey?

Darien, Connecticut
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Vacation with kids -- Santa Monica or Marina del Rey?

We are spending a long weekend in CA with 3 kids ages 5, 10 and 12. Which is more fun for them -- Santa Monica or Marina del Rey? It looks like we could get similar quality hotels for similar prices. We just don't want to drive around much so are looking for fun things in walking distance. Thanks!

8 replies to this topic
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
28,708 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vacation with kids -- Santa Monica or Marina del Rey?

It will depend on the hotels you are considering - what are they?

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
18,619 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vacation with kids -- Santa Monica or Marina del Rey?

Santa Monica has a lot more to do, but Elle is correct, walkability around your lodging will be based on where the hotel is located. Let us know the hotels, we can provide better insight.

Edited: 11 June 2017, 19:43
Darien, Connecticut
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vacation with kids -- Santa Monica or Marina del Rey?

Thanks for giving me advice! I was thinking of staying at the Le Meridien Delfina or the Marriott Marina del Rey. Or, it's a little more expensive so I'm not sure it's within the budget, but the JW Marriott in Santa Monica and Ritz Carlton seem similar in price. Probably I 'm going to choose one the two cheaper hotels because we need two rooms and it adds up. Also, if you don't mind giving your opinion, we don't know if we need to rent a car or not. We are going to go to Universal Studios one day but we might be able to take a cab there and back for less than renting and parking a car? That is hopefully are only car need except getting to and from the airport. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks!

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,708 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vacation with kids -- Santa Monica or Marina del Rey?

Nix the MdR Hotel (Marriot) - it's on Lincoln Blvd, a particularly ugly area. Similar problem with the Delfina. Ugly street, but you can walk to places nearby.

I would definitely choose the JW Marriott in Santa Monica, it's really no contest. The Ritz Carlton is lovely and beautiful, but if you have an opportunity to stay at the JW in SM, then that's where to stay without a doubt. Can walk to restaurants, cafes, the Pier, shopping, etc.

Use Uber to get to Universal and back, save on the car rental fees and hotel parking (as well as Uni parking costs). Taxi or Uber from LAX to the hotel.

Edited: 11 June 2017, 20:14
Darien, Connecticut
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vacation with kids -- Santa Monica or Marina del Rey?

Thanks that confirms much of what i was thinking!

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
18,619 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vacation with kids -- Santa Monica or Marina del Rey?

I have no issues at all about the Delphina. It is across the street from the high school, not any issue in summer! And good grief! Pico is no different than Santa Monica Blvd. or Arizona Blvd, and darn prettier with its planted medians; saying it's ugly is rediculous in many ways, sorry Elle, you're dissing my hood!

It is a short walk to Main St.,full of shops, restaurants, Urth Cafe, and that is just a block from the beach. You can also easily walk to the downtown core, and a very PRETTY walk is down Main St. and through Tongva Park.

It is adjacent to the Ocean Park neighborhood, which used to be cottages for inland wealthy from Pasadena in the day.

San Mateo...
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vacation with kids -- Santa Monica or Marina del Rey?

Hotel MdR is not the Marina del Rey Marriott which is the one overlooking Mother's Beach. Either way, the JW in SM is a much better hotel, location, and more walkable than the MdR properties.

And I agree that the Delfina location is meh ... I stayed there when it was still the Four Points.

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
28,708 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vacation with kids -- Santa Monica or Marina del Rey?

Phaminator, good catch. The MdR is the Hilton. The Marriott is the one on Admiralty - not a bad hotel or location.

Plumeria, didn't mean to diss your hood. Not at all. But that hotel, on Pico, and close to Lincoln, simply isn't all that nice (however it is very walkable to the west). The neighborhood behind it (to the south) is lovely.

Reply to: Vacation with kids -- Santa Monica or Marina del Rey?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted