We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying on a vineyard for special occasion?

Which Sonoma hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brooklyn, New York
2 posts
Save Topic
Staying on a vineyard for special occasion?

I'm planning a vacation for my wife's 30th birthday and we want to stay in luxury accommodations in Sonoma or Russian River valley in early Feburary but are looking for something special. Does anyone know of any vineyards that have accommodation on the estates? We've stayed at places like this in Europe and Oregon and am hoping for something similar. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
22,525 posts
5,271 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying on a vineyard for special occasion?

Although it does not match your description as the places do things a bit different in this area, a few to consider are:

Vintners Inn: vineyards on property, spa, and one of the best restaurants in the area - John Ash. Views of vineyard from restaurant; great service.

Nice romantic rooms.

http://www.vintnersinn.com/

Madrona Manor - its a bed and breakfast, with beautiful grounds, and excellent food.

http://madronamanor.com/

Farmhouse Inn

http://www.farmhouseinn.com/

www.farmhouseinn.com/farmhouse_awards.html

Level Contributor
34,739 posts
895 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying on a vineyard for special occasion?

The Le Mars Hotel in Healsburg is very luxurious, but not right in a vineyard. In Sonoma, the Ledson Hotel also offers fine elegance in lodging but is located right on the Sonoma Plaza. There is also the Sonoma Mission Inn in Sonoma, you could get a Wine Country room Suite there. Have you stayed at the Allison Inn & Spa in Oregon? We were there this summer and loved it! :)

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,819 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying on a vineyard for special occasion?

Consider Vine Hill House (vinehillhouse.com/guesthouse/Guest_House.htm) in the Sebastopol area--so not too far from the Russian River Valley. It has beautiful vineyard views. Another good option is Casa Verde in the Kenwood area of Sonoma Valley (www.vineyardsinn.com/lodging.html). Nice restaurants choices are just a short drive away from both properties.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,848 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying on a vineyard for special occasion?

There was a thread on this subject some time ago. See if you can drag it up by doing a search.

As I remember, working wineries do not usually also make themselves into lodging accommodations, but I have a vague memory of a couple which do have vineyard-type accommodations. Good luck.

Napa
Level Contributor
2,486 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying on a vineyard for special occasion?

Most wineriers have houses that are used for trade, and sometimes very good wine club members. I don't know of any that open them up to the public. Your best bet is to find a hotel or vacation rental that has a vineyard view.

Healdsburg, CA
Level Contributor
476 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying on a vineyard for special occasion?

Both Ledson Winery (http://www.ledsonhotel.com/) and Landmark Winery(http://www.landmarkwine.com/taste/stay) in Sonoma have lodging; I believe the ledson lodging is actually in town though.

Lancaster Estate, in Windsor/Healdsburg, has a house to rent. http://www.lancasterestateliving.com/

Enjoy!

Innkeeper Mandie

Honor Mansion

Auburn, Alabama
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying on a vineyard for special occasion?

Hi. I'm usually just looking and not talking, but there are a few wineries with rentals on site. I found them accidentally not long ago when I was cruising around on WineCountry.com...I think I was using the general 'accomodations' or 'lodging' tab.

I am sure that Cline and Landmark have them, and I think that there were a couple in the Russian River area, too- White Oak may be one.

As someone said, these are usually reserved for club members or business associates but I am sure that Cline's was open for public use.

Couldn't say about how luxurious they would be, but you can call for details I'm sure.

Ledson doesn't have rooms at the "Castle", but they own the hotel in downtown Sonoma and it is VERY luxuriously appointed. Though nowhere near a vineyard, it is directly across the street from the lovely town square.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
22,525 posts
5,271 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying on a vineyard for special occasion?

Prager Port (i.e. port - not wine but very good port) does have a bed and breakfast on site in Napa Valley.

tripadvisor.com/…CHECK_RATES_CONT

The funky and fun tasting room is a great place to sample port - some of the best port in the area!

Ledson Winery does not have their hotel at the same site as the winery - there are better places to stay on the town square in Sonoma. I would skip it as well as the winery - its pretty snooty for no good reason - and its prices are totally out of whack for the area. So give that one a definite pass.

Auburn, Alabama
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying on a vineyard for special occasion?

While I totally respect your opinion, mini, I have to disagree with your assessment that Ledson is snooty "for no good reason".

They have quite a history of producing award-winning wines not only in California but on the International level as well. And though I would certainly agree that snooty is ALWAYS a bad thing, if they choose to rest on their laurels, they have achieved a level of winemaking that they can and should be proud of.

That said, I would also agree that some of the staff there is extremely pretentious and it can spoil the entire experience, but there are some very good, friendly servers in the tasting room that are lots of fun and very very good at their job without putting on airs. As with any tasting there will be some good and some bad and its all really a matter of chance.

In my opinion part of the disparity with the Ledson experience is that Steve Ledson is trying to create a very upscale environment in an area that is much more generally down to earth in attitude and lifestyle; it sort of lends itself more to the Napa experience than Sonoma Valley. We can only hope that there won't be too many in the area that follow his lead in that respect!!

The Ledson wines are more expensive than most, it is true, but again, since its not uncommon in the industry for pricing to be influenced by the awards obtained he's probably not so far out of line in that regard. If you think about what his overhead must be for that tasting facility and the hotel downtown and all the vineyards he owns he probably has huge costs.

And just for the record, I am only lukewarm on Ledson myself. I am as "wowed" by the tasting facility as the next person, but aside from a couple of productions their wines don't really suit my palate that well. I do think that its worth going to see the place just to say one has been there, and I do think that its worthwhile to taste there simply because there are so many options, but itis necessary to have fairly deep pockets if you want to buy.

Brooklyn, New York
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying on a vineyard for special occasion?

Thanks all for your suggestions! We had a great trip and ended up staying at the following properties: Le Mars; Napa River Inn; Bardessono; and Beltane Ranch. While Beltane wasn't our favorite, they are now making a great Sauv. blanc. Thanks again.