We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How safe is Stockton?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
12 posts
36 reviews
40 helpful votes
How safe is Stockton?

I am going to a business seminar in Stockton from 11/30 to 12/04. It is at the Residence Inn on March Lane. How safe is Stockton these days? Am I better off staying in Lodi and commuting?

11 replies to this topic
Corona del Mar...
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
60,730 posts
443 reviews
776 helpful votes
1. Re: How safe is Stockton?

The area around the Residence Inn on March Lane is fine. I wouldn't stay in Lodi.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Lodi
Level Contributor
2,322 posts
25 reviews
45 helpful votes
2. Re: How safe is Stockton?

Stockton’s fine. Not worth the commute from Lodi. (I would suggest coming to Lodi and doing some wine tasting if you have time!)

Level Contributor
3 posts
14 reviews
1 helpful vote
3. Re: How safe is Stockton?

Yes, Lodi is quaint and lovely. Stockton is rough and crime riddled plus not much to see that's worth the risk.

Coloma, California
Level Contributor
1,930 posts
62 reviews
72 helpful votes
4. Re: How safe is Stockton?

Don't pay attention to the above one time poster. As previously stated, the area around March Ln. is fine.

Level Contributor
3 posts
14 reviews
1 helpful vote
5. Re: How safe is Stockton?

I guess the response above was meant for me. As far as a trip to this area opt for the wine tasting in Lodi rather than the I-5 on March Lane, high crime rate and substandard accommodations.

Enjoy!

San Diego
Level Contributor
417 posts
170 reviews
89 helpful votes
6. Re: How safe is Stockton?

I wouldn't dismiss AJ because he joined this week.

I, myself, have noticed Stockton on "Dangerous Cities" lists. The article in Forbes got my attention because I'd like to visit the art museum where Bierstadt's paintings are exhibited. (AJ gave it 5 stars and no, I'm not AJ, or his agent, heh).

Here are 2 advisories:

https:/…16

https:/…b14e4a6296e6

NOW -- AS FAR AS THE AFOREMENTIONED RESIDENCE INN ...

The 3 thumbs up from respondents is good enough for me. But, like anywhere, be on your guard.

Level Contributor
40,086 posts
1,022 reviews
1,816 helpful votes
7. Re: How safe is Stockton?

Stay in Lodi @ Wine & Roses, a lovely inn with an excellent restaurant. We really enjoy wine tasting in this area. 🍷

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
18,665 posts
124 reviews
72 helpful votes
8. Re: How safe is Stockton?

I think it depends on what you want to do while you are there. Staying on March Lane is fine. No problem with that. The city of Stockton does have some serious crime issues though, so if you'll have some free time and want to do things while in the area, or even just explore the area where you are staying, Lodi is a better choice. But, if you won't have much free time and will basically be at the conference, eating dinner, or spending time at your hotel, then staying on March Lane is fine.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
33,566 posts
6,457 reviews
3,343 helpful votes
9. Re: How safe is Stockton?

March Lane is a major exit off of I-5 in Stockton. So its an OK area.

Like any other city in California, use normal street smarts

1) Don't leave your electronics (cell phones, computer) etc. in the car. - Smash and Grabs are a major issue in California and in general its a misdemeanor so its a major issue throughout the state.

2) Know where you are going at night.

For more on Stockton see

https://www.visitstockton.org/

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
33,566 posts
6,457 reviews
3,343 helpful votes
10. Re: How safe is Stockton?

Sorry - I just realized you posted this in October. How was your trip?

Reply to: How safe is Stockton?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Stockton