We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Big Valley

1 post
The Big Valley

Is there any history of The Big Valley to visit.

2 replies to this topic
Fresno, California
Level Contributor
1,920 posts
1. Re: The Big Valley

Although the TV show was supposedly set in the Stockton area, filming took place in southern parts of the state. I've never run across sites or memorabilia collections in the Stockton area to visit.

Like many TV shows and movies, Big Valley scenes involving old trains were filmed at Railtown (now a state park) in Jamestown, near Sonora. But that is about 60 miles east of Stockton.

www.railtown1897.org/filming-on-location

List of shows and movies partially filmed at Railtown:

http://www.railtown1897.org/film-credits

Supposedly the TV show was loosely based on the Hill Ranch, east of Stockton. That location today sits underneath the waters of Lake Camanche but there is a historical marker nearby. But I have never seen any valid source confirming that the show was based on the Hill Ranch, all I have seen is that story repeated on the internet but with no evidence to support the connection.

Edited: 08 July 2013, 14:36
New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,909 posts
111 reviews
2. Re: The Big Valley

Interesting ... I used to spend a lot of time in Stockton several years ago, and I did not know the connection with the TV show.

Reply to: The Big Valley
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Stockton