We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Trip to Basalt

Tampa, Fl
Level Contributor
79 posts
91 reviews
Family Trip to Basalt

We have an opportunity to stay in Basalt; however, not sure of what there is to do for a family. Kids range from 18 to 12 and we would be going in the summer.

Considering flying into Denver and taking a train to Basalt for the kids to enjoy the scenery - thought it might be a good way to see some country

Can anyone give me some feedback on this?

7 replies to this topic
Colorado
Level Contributor
4,406 posts
12 reviews
1. Re: Family Trip to Basalt

You probably would be better to drive--SPECTACULAR scenery. Train ride is wonderful, but might be a little long for kids. Not sure your flights and train schedule would line up real well.

Colorado
Level Contributor
2,536 posts
142 reviews
2. Re: Family Trip to Basalt

Amtrak goes to Glenwood Springs rather than Basalt. It is about 23 miles from the train station to Basalt.

Are you planning on staying in Glenwood or Basalt?

What do you kids like to do?

Glenwood has lots more infrastructure for family fun. Glenwood Adventure Park, great rafting, bike trails, chain restaurants and quality independent dining, etc. Basalt is noted for fly fishing, hiking, biking, some good restaurants.

In April the light rail starts operating from DIA to the Amtrak station downtown. As you probably know in the US passenger rail waits for freight when there are schedule conflicts so timing can be iffy.

Tampa, Fl
Level Contributor
79 posts
91 reviews
3. Re: Family Trip to Basalt

Thanks for your prompt response

We are staying in Basalt, flying in to Denver.

What's the DIA? and what will the light rail support?

Thanks again

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
11,482 posts
178 reviews
4. Re: Family Trip to Basalt

DIA is short for Denver International Airport. Light rail is the commuter train system in the Denver metro area. The expansion of the rail system linking the airport to downtown has been long awaited.

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
11,482 posts
178 reviews
5. Re: Family Trip to Basalt

My grandkids like the train ride but not so much for the scenery as for the fact they can move around. I like the scenery! There is a lot to do in the general area of Basalt but you will likely want to have a car to get around to Glenwood Springs, Aspen, Redstone, Marble, Ashcroft ghost town.... In my opinion it would probably be better to rent a car in Denver so you can make some stops along the way to Basalt. (Dinosaur Ridge at Morrison, buffalo herd overlook, bighorn sheep overlook at Georgetown, maybe the Georgetown Loop railroad, Frisco, (water taxi or boat ride?) Vail for the Betty Ford Gardens (there's a children's garden and a great place for a walk). But you could ride Amtrak and rent a car in Glenwood Springs.

Tampa, Fl
Level Contributor
79 posts
91 reviews
6. Re: Family Trip to Basalt

Thanks to all for your feedback.

Anyone have any feedback if I wanted to incorporate Garden of the Gods in the trip...is that just too far out of the way?

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
11,482 posts
178 reviews
7. Re: Family Trip to Basalt

Colorado Springs would be off your route by quite a bit, but many visitors divide their time among several locations. Colorado Springs is one of our larger cities, with many attractions and activities...would probably want to allow two or more days there. How much time do you have? When is your trip?

An alternative would be to make a stop at Red Rocks Park near Denver. It has similar red rock formations; I've read it is part of the same geological formation along with some other red rock areas along the Front Range/foothills. And I'm sure the kids would enjoy nearby Dinosaur Ridge. Another option if you want to see rock formations from your base in Basalt would be to take a day trip to Grand Junction/Fruita to see Colorado National Monument and take the kids to Dinosaur Journey, maybe hike the Trail Through Time if not too hot at the time of your visit. Moab with Arches Natl Park would be a bit far for a day trip but would make a good overnight jaunt from Basalt.

Reply to: Family Trip to Basalt
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Basalt