We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wit's End Guest Ranch

New Jersey
7 posts
Wit's End Guest Ranch

Has anybody stayed here? Is it a good family place? I'm taking my family there in August. Has anyone had any problems there?

California
Level Contributor
7 posts
25 reviews
31. Re: Wit's End Guest Ranch

I must admit that I am the one that posted the negative post on Trip Advisor. I am not fabricating a tale and not slandering the place. When we went there, there were 14 in our party in addition to several other large groups. The ranch was at full capacity, they were very understaffed. It was very difficult to get on many of the excursions on the ranch. I am not hard to please, at least I hope not, but the workers were great (the ones I talked to hated the place), the ranch was not. I did speak to one gentleman there and he told me the week before they had 10 or so people there. When we were there, there were over 60. I have been fortunate enough to have gone to some very nice all inclusive resorts. They have "wowed" me. I did not get "wowed" at Wit's End nor did anybody else. Check the reviews of Kona Village or Sandal's of Jamaica and see what you get for your dollar. As for the fly fishing, I was on the Sage pro staff and have over 23 years of fly fishing experience. Four days ago my son (11) who is a novice and I had over 30 fish landed on a guided trip in California (cost $350). Nothing compared to this at Wit's End. My son caught two beautiful fish there, so did his cousins. I am convinced that these were the same two fish based on where they caught them. I am truly glad that other people have had a pleasurable experience. Our group had a good time, but the complaint was the cost factor and level of food and lodging which we did not associate with other top level resorts we have been to that had similar cost. I am not a hard to please person, money is earned and saved for these types of trips. There is no trust fund set up for me. Two of the other large groups (one a returning group) made similar comments to me while I was there. They will not be returning. You may not be aware of this, but Jim is trying to build a golf course and a subdivision around the property. The local residents are not for it. He only lives there in the summer. and resides in Indiana the rest of the time. FYI, this is the only negative review I have ever posted on Trip Advisor. All of my others have been favorable.

New Jersey
7 posts
32. Re: Wit's End Guest Ranch

Thanks! We had a fantastic time. All the activities were great and the owners and staff were very accommodating. The horseback riding was particularly good and the wranglers were extremely friendly and knowledgable. There were very few people staying at the ranch the week we were there, so we pretty much had the place to ourselves. This has to be one of the most beautiful vacation spots in the country. Just about perfect.

With regard to the ranch, the owners were great. They even had the guests over for dinner at their riverside house one evening. We enjoyed virtually every activity, and the food was terrific. The cabins were very nice, but this is a ranch: you cannot expect the Ritz even though these are Ritz prices. If the money does not bother you, I would wholeheartedly recommend Wits End, although again, our week was a bit special as there were never more than 3-4 families there with us.

On the constructive side, since we visited near the end of the season, some of the staff had already left, so at times it was difficult to find someone when needed. It had me wondering how well they handle a busier week, although it doesn't sound like that has been a problem judging from other postings. Along those lines, the office was almost never open which was an occassional inconvenience and is something that should be addressed. To compensate for the smaller staff that week, the owners pitched in personally to guide several of the activities, including an unhurried and wonderful afternoon of boating on the spectacular lake nearby. Thanks, Jim!

All in all, this was a wonderful vacation in one of the most beautiful spots we've ever seen. It really was the best family vacation we've every had, and we absolutely hated to leave.

California
Level Contributor
7 posts
25 reviews
33. Re: Wit's End Guest Ranch

I just read this post, with 15 -20 people there, this place sounds great. Jim came to our table exactly once during our stay. I am envious that your money got the most bang for the buck, we felt kind of cheated to some extent. I hope every positive post tipped the workers as well as I did, that is their biggest complaint. They get stiffed quite a bit.

34. Re: Wit's End Guest Ranch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 21:15
Get answers to your questions about Bayfield