We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time skiing B.C.

Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,271 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
First time skiing B.C.

We're a family of four (kids 7, 13) avid skiers (advanced intermediate to expert). We'll be in CO March 23-31 and plan on skiing B.C. one day. We're staying in Silverthorne and driving in, so looking for recommendations on where to park as well as suggestions on where to ski on a busy day and kid-friendly apres.

It's been suggested that we start out with Arrowhead and move on to Larkspur. I'm assuming there'll be enough terrain in these areas to keep us busy for the better part of a day? My 13yo daughter is quite a little ski racer here in the midwest. She wants to ski the Birds of Prey womens downhill course. From what I can tell, it looks like #9 lift to Peregrine>Kestral>Redtail will be a pretty close approximation, does that sound right? How tough is Peregrine? Is this something we want to try on a busy day? Is the double black rating based mostly on pitch? Probably just a run for Dad and 13yo daughter, I'm sure Mom could make it down but probably wouldn't enjoy it.

Assuming we start at Arrowhead, where is the best place to park? We don't mind paying for parking, and don't want to walk a mile in ski boots from the car to the lift. Is there a "day lodge" type area anywhere at Arrowhead Village where we could change into ski boots, then stash our gear in a rental locker? If not, about how far is it from the parking area to the lift?

Any suggestions certainly appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
5 replies to this topic
Hudson, Ohio
Level Contributor
31 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time skiing B.C.

there will not be enough terrain at Arrowhead/Bachelor's gulch for your daughter. However, it is very easy to ski and lift your way over to Birds of Prey and Grouse Mountain areas. Food and rest at Talons at he base of all three oifts.Steepness certainly comes to play with the the black ratings. The double will have bumps, the single diamonds will probably be groomed and steep. They are well groomed however and this 65+ midwestern woman can get down them with her daughter and be glad she did.

I usually stay in Avon, and take the gondola up to these areas. I am not sure where that public parking would be. It is certainly the easiest and least congested way to start your day. Everything is a shuttle ride from the parking lots, otherwise. No day lodges

Mentioned in this post
Avon
Avon
Beaver Creek, CO
Eagle, Colorado
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First time skiing B.C.

I'm not sure I would recommend Arrowhead this year due to lack of snow. I usually park in the Elk lot and pay the $10.00 to park. If you don't want to pay to park you can park in the Rodeo lot. From the Elk lot it's one bus ride with no stop to the base of Beaver Creek. From the Rodeo lot It takes 2 buses to get to the base of Beaver Creek and I don't think the buses run as frequent as they do at the Elk lot. There is usually at least 1 run groomed off of most lifts at Beaver Creek. I can't speak for skiing the World Cup course. I haven't skied it this year.

Mentioned in this post
Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,271 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time skiing B.C.

Thanks for the advice.

sw82777, when you mention the lack of snow, are you talking like rocks and bare patches or just not beautiful groomed powder? Remember, we're used to skiing in MI. Is there another area you might recommend based on the current snow conditions and/or knowledge that we'll be coming on what I expect to be a busy spring break week?

Sounds like parking in Elk lot is the way to go. Do you boot up in the car and ride the shuttle, or do you carry your gear and change in the lodge or something? If you boot up in the car, is it a lot of hiking to reach a lift? I can't seem to find a very detailed map of BC village, but I do see where it looks like there's a lodge or guest services building or something...looks like there's a rental center, ticket office, restrooms, lockers, etc. Anyone know where this is? Would it be possible to drop off the family and gear there, then drive back to the parking lot?

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
20,186 posts
449 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time skiing B.C.

Given your ability levels and willingness to pay for parking, I would just drive up and park in one of the two lots in Beaver Creek village. It's $30-35 but puts you right at the epicenter. Your daughter will do fine on the women's downhill. It's easy access, take Centennial from Beaver Creek Village (lift 6) to Cinch (lift 8) and ski down Peregrine to Kestral. Peregrine is listed as a double black, but in my opinion you guys will be fine.

Where do you ski in the UP?

One other reason for parking in the village, you can hit Blue Moose pizza at the end of the day.

Have fun.

Mentioned in this post
Blue Moose
Blue Moose
760 Reviews
Beaver Creek, CO
Northern Michigan
Destination Expert
for Petoskey, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,271 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time skiing B.C.

Great, thanks for pointing that out, Tumbleweed. I didn't realize parking right in the village was an option, we'll definitely do that.

We live just outside Petoskey, so our home area is Nubs Nob. Between kids school racing, club racing, ussa and beer league, we pretty much live at Nubs in the winter. Other than that, we're at several of the other MI ski areas throughout the winter for racing...the Boynes, Marquette Mtn, Schuss, etc. We usually make a trip or two out west each year. I've been trying to pull off a guy's trip to the UP ski areas this year, but haven't been successful. There's a good week of skiing to be done in the UP, culminating in some pretty legit terrain at Mt. Bohemia and their cat operation, Voodo Mtn.

Thanks again for the help!

Reply to: First time skiing B.C.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted