We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aspen foliage drive

Which Denver hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington State
Level Contributor
474 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Aspen foliage drive

Hello, I have one day, Oct 4, to go for a hike/walk to look at aspen. Staying fairly close to Denver, where would my best bet be for that time? Here are some choices I have read about- Golden Gate Canyon state park, Meyer Ranch park, or Beaver Lake along Beaver Creek near Vail. Welcome to other suggestions as well. Thanks for any info

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Aspen foliage drive

Rocky Mountain NationalPark really can't be beat. But check to make sure that this is the time that the foliage is at ist best. If not, adjust your itinerary downward in altitude if not yet ready at RMNP, or up if past peak. Vail is a long way to go; there are other places closer to Denver

We like to drive from Colorado Springs, along US 24 west to Divide, and then CO 67 up toward Cripple Creek. That covers a wide range of altitude.

Nederland, Colorado
Level Contributor
9,820 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aspen foliage drive

RMNP may be past peak the first week of October. It's difficult to tell. Here's a recent post of reports of some aspen turning already: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g143048-i3489-k477…

Golden Gate Canyon is a great place to view the aspen, there are lots of them! Some years there is great color the first week of October and some years it's all gone by then. My husband rode his motorcycle through there today and nothing is happening yet, so you might get lucky.

Edited: 05 September 2011, 19:20
Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,154 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aspen foliage drive

Baba's right on. Oct is getting late, but for a specific route that may work, drive I-70 west , then hwy 58 to Golden, then hwy 93 out of Golden to Colo 46 and west. (this drive won't take long) you'll be passing through Golden Gate Canyon as baba suggested.

When you get to the P2P (hwy 119, the Peak-to-Peak,) head North. You should have good views.

May want to stop off at the "Last Shot" (north of hwy 46/119 junction at end of Golden Gate Canyon rd) for lunch.....pretty good food.

Continue north on 119 to the junction of hwy 72, where you can head back into town (through Arvada) and get a good look back at the divide and aspen as you go over the front range.

Could also side trip a few miles North from 119/72 junction to Nederland. Neat town, good restaurants, Aspens in the distance, as well as a cell tower that looks like a pine tree.

At any rate, pretty close to town (30-40 minutes) in this area.

Have a nice trip................I will be watching the aspens in this area this month as well.

tptr

Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,154 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aspen foliage drive

Topping this one. I was surprised to see aspens "coloring up" in the foothills, but not yet at our 9000 ft+ altitude.

Anytime now.

5. Re: Aspen foliage drive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2012, 07:18