We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pagosa 2nd week of October 2010

Which Pagosa Springs hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new orleans, la
Level Contributor
81 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Pagosa 2nd week of October 2010

Staying at Elkwood Manor in Oct 2010. Any good local cuisine to try? We are from New Orleans so we are used to a lot of good food...What about sights not to miss as we weill only be there a few days? Appreciate any and all input!

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,106 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pagosa 2nd week of October 2010

I see you haven't had any replies yet, so will try to help. I don't think Pagosa has a local "Destination Expert" here on Trip Advisor. (Yoo hoo, anybody out there?)

As far as sights to see, you'll definitely want to drive up to Wolf Creek Pass and drive at least a portion of the Silver Thread Scenic Byway. byways.org/explore/byways/2116/stories/56243 Creede is a historic mining community and interesting to visit. Ask at the visitor center if the Bachelor Loop is driveable.

If you've never been to Mesa Verde National Park, definitely consider a trip there. It is a national treasure, and it would be a shame to be so close and not see it, IMO. Many of the sites will be open till Oct. 16, and even after that it would still be worth going if you aren't likely to get back this way again soon. It's approx. 3 hours from Pagosa so you could do it as a day trip if you don't mind getting an early start.

Many visitors to this area consider a ride on the Durango-Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad a must-do, and it is open through October.

http://www.durangotrain.com/ride-us

Look at the Cumbres-Toltec Scenic Railroad, too, if your time allows.

https:/…schedule-rates.aspx

Chimney Rock closes Sept 30, so that won't be an option for you but I'll mention it for the benefit of others who might be looking at different dates.

Pagosa Springs has several galleries, museums and shops, i.e. Fred Harman Art Museum (western art, Red Ryder comic strip).

Do you have your Pagosa Springs visitor guide? You can view it and lots of info on this website:

visitpagosasprings.com/colorado/pagosa-sprin…

I can't help much with dining options as it's been quite a while since I've been there. Friends there recently enjoyed the Old Miner Steakhouse (local grass fed beef and more) and I think they recommended the Dogwood Cafe for breakfast. If you've read the restaurant reviews on TA for Pagosa, you'll see mixed opinions. It's not a destination reknowned for culinary excellence with a distinctive local cuisine but I think you'll find plenty of good food.

new orleans, la
Level Contributor
81 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pagosa 2nd week of October 2010

Thanks for your help!! I appreciate any and all help! We are trying to plan vacations heading west and may not get back to the area for a while. This will be our 2nd time in Estes Park but the 1st in Pagosa. Where is West Slope?

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Pagosa 2nd week of October 2010

I live in Durango, but grew up in Pagosa and go there pretty often. Don't miss soaking in the hot springs. The Springs Resort is the nicest but there is also Overlook Hot Springs right on main street. Overlook is much smaller but has rooftop tubs with a nice view and is pretty inexpensive. Don't be turned off by the smell, it is a sulfur springs but filled with minerals that ease away all your aches and pains.

Dining in Pagosa is no comparison to the Big Easy but we always go to Kip's Grill (really good local spot with live music on occasion), Alley House Grill (more upscale, excellent food) and the Elk Horn (for Breakfast) when in town. Durango has lots of good dining options if you happen to be on your way to Mesa Verde or the railroad, try out Season's, Ken & Sues, Carvers, Durango Diner. October is an excellent time to take the train if you hit it right you may still see some colors. As the other poster wrote, Mesa Verde is not to be missed either.

Happy Travels

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Pagosa 2nd week of October 2010

I live in Durango, but grew up in Pagosa and go there pretty often. Don't miss soaking in the hot springs. The Springs Resort is the nicest but there is also Overlook Hot Springs right on main street. Overlook is much smaller but has rooftop tubs with a nice view and is pretty inexpensive. Don't be turned off by the smell, it is a sulfur springs but filled with minerals that ease away all your aches and pains.

Dining in Pagosa is no comparison to the Big Easy but we always go to Kip's Grill (really good local spot with live music on occasion), Alley House Grill (more upscale, excellent food) and the Elk Horn (for Breakfast) when in town. Durango has lots of good dining options if you happen to be on your way to Mesa Verde or the railroad, try out Season's, Ken & Sues, Carvers, Durango Diner. October is an excellent time to take the train if you hit it right you may still see some colors. As the other poster wrote, Mesa Verde is not to be missed either.

Happy Travels

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
10,106 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pagosa 2nd week of October 2010

Colorado's Western Slope region is more or less the western part of the state or communities on the western side of the Continental Divide, as opposed to the Eastern Slope and Front Range areas (ie Denver, Boulder, Colorado Springs). Some even call it the Left Slope, lol! I say more or less because, for example, Cortez is on the west side of the Continental Divide but it is referred to as being in the "Four Corners" region.

If you have the time and the weather's good, take a look at driving from Durango to Silverton and Ouray, two historic and picturesque mountain communities and one of the most spectacularly scenic drives anywhere. For info, look up the San Juan Skyway Scenic Byway and Million Dollar Highway.

6. Re: Pagosa 2nd week of October 2010

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2010, 01:19