We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ways to visit vineyards

London, United...
Level Contributor
145 posts
8 reviews
Ways to visit vineyards

Hi All

My wife & I are planning a one night stop over in the Willamette valley area as part of a roadtrip in May. The main aim is to visit some nice wineries and try some great wines!

Although we will have a car I'm keen not to have to drive for the wine tasting so that I don't have to limit my drinking. I was hoping to get your advice on how to approach this:

1. Are there places to stay that would allow us to visit enough wineries by walking or getting short taxi rides?

2. Is there any way to hire cycles and do a self-guided tour of a few wineries (we are OK but not amazing cyclists)

3. Tour operators: any recommendations? This would be our last preference as we'd prefer flexibility in terms of timings and route

4. Any other ideas?

5 replies to this topic
Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,940 posts
102 reviews
1. Re: Ways to visit vineyards

There are a couple areas you can stay and be able to walk to tasting rooms. In Dundee, the Inn at Red Hills is smack in town and there are over a dozen tasting rooms all walkable, plus some of the areas best restaurants. In Carlton there are some flats you can rent and a handful of tasting rooms right in town. Lastly there is McMinnville which has the McMenamins Hotel Oregon right in town as well as several

B&B’s and there are a handful of tasting rooms and some very good restaurants all lined along 3rd street and the side streets.

As for tours, even with living in the area I did go on one with A Nose For Wine and while I had high expectations, it surpassed those. It is not cheap, but an excellent tour and well worth it.

Level Contributor
39,556 posts
1,021 reviews
2. Re: Ways to visit vineyards

If you stay at Hotel Oregon, try La Rambla for a nice meal and don't miss tasting at Williamette Valley Vineyards. 🍷

London, United...
Level Contributor
145 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: Ways to visit vineyards

Thanks All - really appreciate it.

Sadly the Inn at Red Hills has a two night minimum when we'll be there but I will look into the others. Any other recommendations for Dundee?

It sounds like a self-guided cycle tour isn't an option?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,598 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Ways to visit vineyards

Yes, a self-guided tour is definitely an option, but I don’t know of any conveniently located shops from which you could rent bicycles. And I doubt you’d feel comfortable riding those roads anyway, as they’re generally narrow, without shoulders, and in recent years much more heavily traveled. I used to ride them years ago, but these days, our self-guided touring is all by car.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,940 posts
102 reviews
5. Re: Ways to visit vineyards

The only thing I can suggestion for a cycle tour would be to ask John, the winemaker at Grochau Cellars. He is a cyclist and has ridden these roads for years so he might be able to help, but no guarantees.

Reply to: Ways to visit vineyards
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Willamette Valley