We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ways to visit vineyards

London, United...
Level Contributor
142 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Ways to visit vineyards

Hi All

My wife & I are planning a one night stop over in the Willamette valley area as part of a roadtrip in May. The main aim is to visit some nice wineries and try some great wines!

Although we will have a car I'm keen not to have to drive for the wine tasting so that I don't have to limit my drinking. I was hoping to get your advice on how to approach this:

1. Are there places to stay that would allow us to visit enough wineries by walking or getting short taxi rides?

2. Is there any way to hire cycles and do a self-guided tour of a few wineries (we are OK but not amazing cyclists)

3. Tour operators: any recommendations? This would be our last preference as we'd prefer flexibility in terms of timings and route

4. Any other ideas?

Mentioned in this post
Willamette Valley
Willamette Valley
773 Reviews
Portland, OR
5 replies to this topic
Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,727 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ways to visit vineyards

There are a couple areas you can stay and be able to walk to tasting rooms. In Dundee, the Inn at Red Hills is smack in town and there are over a dozen tasting rooms all walkable, plus some of the areas best restaurants. In Carlton there are some flats you can rent and a handful of tasting rooms right in town. Lastly there is McMinnville which has the McMenamins Hotel Oregon right in town as well as several

B&B’s and there are a handful of tasting rooms and some very good restaurants all lined along 3rd street and the side streets.

As for tours, even with living in the area I did go on one with A Nose For Wine and while I had high expectations, it surpassed those. It is not cheap, but an excellent tour and well worth it.

Mentioned in this post
Inn at Red Hills
Inn at Red Hills
220 Reviews
Dundee, OR
McMenamins Hotel Oregon
McMenamins Hotel Oregon
356 Reviews
McMinnville, OR
Level Contributor
38,496 posts
1,008 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ways to visit vineyards

If you stay at Hotel Oregon, try La Rambla for a nice meal and don't miss tasting at Williamette Valley Vineyards. 🍷

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
London, United...
Level Contributor
142 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ways to visit vineyards

Thanks All - really appreciate it.

Sadly the Inn at Red Hills has a two night minimum when we'll be there but I will look into the others. Any other recommendations for Dundee?

It sounds like a self-guided cycle tour isn't an option?

Mentioned in this post
Inn at Red Hills
Inn at Red Hills
220 Reviews
Dundee, OR
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,375 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ways to visit vineyards

Yes, a self-guided tour is definitely an option, but I don’t know of any conveniently located shops from which you could rent bicycles. And I doubt you’d feel comfortable riding those roads anyway, as they’re generally narrow, without shoulders, and in recent years much more heavily traveled. I used to ride them years ago, but these days, our self-guided touring is all by car.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,727 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ways to visit vineyards

The only thing I can suggestion for a cycle tour would be to ask John, the winemaker at Grochau Cellars. He is a cyclist and has ridden these roads for years so he might be able to help, but no guarantees.

Reply to: Ways to visit vineyards
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted