We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rental car and train into Manhattan question

Amarillo, Texas
Level Contributor
145 posts
22 reviews
rental car and train into Manhattan question

Hello,

We will be traveling into Manhattan and need to give a rental car back before doing so. We will be staying at the Delamar. Where is the best place to return a rental car and get to train to get to Times Sq? Which train do we take?

Thank you

Bruce Museum
Natural History Museums
Greenwich Avenue
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Audubon Center
Nature & Wildlife Areas
Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
3,050 posts
189 reviews
1. Re: rental car and train into Manhattan question

Its the Metro North train that you will want. There are a couple of stations in and near Greenwich. Some may have rental car facilities but I am not positive. The website for the train is www.mta.info

NY, NY
Level Contributor
339 posts
106 reviews
2. Re: rental car and train into Manhattan question

Metro North is the better choice as it has more frequent service than Amtrak. It also takes you to Grand Central Station, which really is grand. It is a short taxi ride from there to Times Square or you can take a bus or the Shuttle subway line. On a nice day, you have the option of walking and seeing the Public Library and Bryant Park along the way. Amtrak goes to Penn Station, which is definitely not grand, and you have the same transportation options, but a much less desirable walk. I am not sure which Delamar you are at or which rental car company you are using. Assuming you are the Delamar in Greenwich, Stamford has Avis and Hertz offices in the train station complex. If you are at Delamar in Southport, Fairfield station has Avis and Hertz nearby. From my experience, these rental facilities may have fairly short business hours, so you should confirm them by phone. Drop-offs when the offices are closed may be complicated and/or involve additional charges. I believe the local Enterprises will drop you at the station when you return, but I would phone ahead.

conn
Level Contributor
3,671 posts
175 reviews
3. Re: rental car and train into Manhattan question

The Delemar hotel in Greenwich is walking distance (long) to the train station if that helps.

Amarillo, Texas
Level Contributor
145 posts
22 reviews
4. Re: rental car and train into Manhattan question

Ok. Thanks so much for the help. Think I have it down now.

5. Re: rental car and train into Manhattan question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2018, 04:15
Get answers to your questions about Greenwich