We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with 2 day itinerary for Mystic,CT

Siesta Key, Florida
Level Contributor
115 posts
11 reviews
Help with 2 day itinerary for Mystic,CT

Going next weekend with 2 kids and grandma. 1 kid unfortunately has a broken leg and is in the wheelchair.

I understand its better to pre-order the tickets for Mystic aquarium. Tripadvisor has good prices too.

I would like to see the seaport, Can I just walk around without purchasing tickets for the museeum. In my understanding lots of exhibit and ships have no wheel accessibility.

We love boat rides, are there any larger boats? Small charters we couldn't get on with a wheelchair.

Olde Mistick village for the afternoon.

Any recommendations for the restaraunts will be appreciated.

Any other fun things for kiddo in wheelchair? Thank you

9 replies to this topic
Essex, Connecticut
Level Contributor
135 posts
18 reviews
1. Re: Help with 2 day itinerary for Mystic,CT

How old are you kids? Definitely check out downtown Mystic (only a couple miles if that from the Seaport) there's a neat drawbridge in addition to shops and ice cream stores, etc.

All of the Seaport is the museum, you need to buy a ticket to walk around. There's certainly things to see just wandering around. If you give them a call I'm sure they could answer accessibility questions about their building.

Siesta Key, Florida
Level Contributor
115 posts
11 reviews
2. Re: Help with 2 day itinerary for Mystic,CT

What about the drawbridge does it go up at certain time?

Will I be able to see it from the Seaport? What is the best location to see it?

Any good restraunt recommendations in the old village or downtown Mystic?

Westport...
Level Contributor
236 posts
56 reviews
3. Re: Help with 2 day itinerary for Mystic,CT

The bridge goes up on the hour and the best time to see it is in the evening with ice cream from the drawbridge ice cream shop.

It can’t be experienced from the seaport.

You could get an outside table at S&P oyster house which has good service and food.

in the mornings get your coffee and pastry from Sift now world famous because it’s owner, Adam is now America’s Best Baker. Have fun!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
317 posts
20 reviews
4. Re: Help with 2 day itinerary for Mystic,CT

Use this link below to purchase the Mystic Pass. Provides you with entrance to the seaport & aquarium. Also, includes some other local discounts for lodging, food, and shopping. Although, I don't know your trip advisor cost, so check out the difference.

https://mystic.org/

The Village is all shopping. We stopped after the aquarium to get some souvenirs.

Below is a link from the seaport, talking about their handicapped accessibility.

https:/…

My family loved S&P Oyster House downtown.

Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
3,052 posts
189 reviews
5. Re: Help with 2 day itinerary for Mystic,CT

Assuming two full days

Seaport - first thing in the morning. There is plenty to see and a lot of walking involved. Most is wheelchair friendly, I believe. Not sure on the boats.

Then head downtown and walk around. This would include the drawbridge, ice cream, etc I would get dinner someplace here. Pizzetta is my favorite downtown restaurant followed by the Oyster Club. Neither are on the water but are not a far walk either from the drawbridge.

In the morning, definitely go to Sift then the Aquarium / Mystik Village and head out.

Where are you staying?

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet, Truro, North Truro
Level Contributor
6,957 posts
250 reviews
6. Re: Help with 2 day itinerary for Mystic,CT

Unless things changed, the bridge opens at 40 minutes past the hour and on demand (when a boat needs to pass).

London, Canada
Level Contributor
55 posts
8 reviews
7. Re: Help with 2 day itinerary for Mystic,CT

For boats: Mystic Whaler Cruises is highly, highly recommended. Best sailing you can get in the area and a large, stable boat. If you do a lunch or dinner cruise, the food is served buffet-style so you may need to help bring food to the grandkid in the wheelchair. Wonderful views, fantastic food, very accommodating and kind crew.

Siesta Key, Florida
Level Contributor
115 posts
11 reviews
8. Re: Help with 2 day itinerary for Mystic,CT

Thank you so much for your input. All your information was very helpful. I was entertaining the idea of visiting seaport and Harkness memorial park 2nd day. Or may be even skipping seaport. I would also like to check out Book Barn in Niantic, CT. Since it is on the way back to NYC. Does anyone know how easy/hard it will be to maneuver the wheel chair in Harkness ? I went on their website, they did not mention if mansion or gardens are wheelchair accessible.

Essex, Connecticut
Level Contributor
135 posts
18 reviews
9. Re: Help with 2 day itinerary for Mystic,CT

The mansion tour at Harkness was great the 1 time I took it but we did take stairs to get to the 2nd floor. Not sure if there's an elevator. On the grounds there is a relatively flat dirt path that goes down to the beach, also the groundsare pretty flat. The wheelchair would probably be fine to tour the perimeter of the gardens but I don't believe all of the gardens have pathways to accomodate wheelchairs.

Harkness is only 10 min away from the Book Barn-be aware there are 4 awesome locations all within 1 mile of each other! The place is amazing. Also, depending on the age of your kids there is the Niantic Childrens Museum which also has guest passes for the Niantic Beach/boardwalk across the street. The boardwalk is wheelchair friendly.

Reply to: Help with 2 day itinerary for Mystic,CT
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted