We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jetty Park -bicycle?

Boca Raton FL
Level Contributor
262 posts
127 reviews
Save Topic
Jetty Park -bicycle?

We are driving up from Palm Beach County tomorrow for a (finger's crossed) Sunday Mar 15 7:43pm Discovery launch.

We've been up there before -along the river, Space View Park, etc...but this time we'd like to try Jetty Park.

With a weekend launch, peak season, and great bach weather...I know the beach is going to be crowded.

Any hints as to when would be best to get to Jetty Park without having to be burnt out in the sun all day, or be turned away whenthe 1000 car parking lot is full?

I sawe an old post mentioning bicyling from a point south of the park, but no further description was provided.

Does anyone know a place where we can park south of Jetty and bicycle in?

Distance?

Hints? (I assume bicyling into the park would also allow us to get out of the area fast- a nice advantage with 1000 cars all leaving at the same time)

Best Time of day to get there? (in time to get a good viewing place on the fishing pier?..I'm short!!)

Any good "take out" food places (ribs??!!) driving toward Jetty Park so we don't have to eat concession food?

If not: when does the concession stand close during night launches?

And lastly, not critical, but a possibility:

I see dogs are allowed in the Jetty Park camping area, but not on the beach.

If we decide to bring our dog (and would get there early enough to park at Jetty Park itself), are dogs allowed on the pier?

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
872 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jetty Park -bicycle?

You can park at Cherie Down park on Ridgewood Avenue, this is about 1/2 mile south of Jetty park and simply walk or bicycle up the beach.

There is no need to try to find a spot on the fishing pier for a shuttle launch. The view from the beach or anywhere else in the park is just as good as from the fishing pier. The only time that it is an advantage to watch a launch from the fishing pier is for some of the unmanned rockets.

There aren't any convenient food places along your route if you are coming up I-95 to SR528.

A lot of people (not me, though) like Slow 'N Low Barbecue in Cocoa Beach, but this is several miles out of your way.

http://www.slowandlowbarbeque.com/

Although the park will be open, I doubt that the concession stand will be open after hours.

Boca Raton FL
Level Contributor
262 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jetty Park -bicycle?

Thanks for the info...we left at noon today, so missed your post, buit will stash it away for future use...

When we got to Jetty Park, around 2:30 pm, it was already closed, so we truned around and went to Space View, which was predicatably jammed, but always has room for more...and we did see a spectacular launch...the twilight hour was different from both the night and day launches we've seen-almost the best of both. Even saw the booster separation clearly, and the contrail change colors in the sun.

Spectacular...

though Space View needs to add some more Porta Pottties...the line for women was almost an hour near launch time...as were all businesses nearby...

Yikes!

Great day none-the-less.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
872 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jetty Park -bicycle?

Thanks for posting the update. That's good information, I didn't know that Jetty Park closed the gates when they get full, but it does make sense.

Glad that you got to see it, and I agree, the twilight lighting seems to be the best of both worlds. It was a perfect evening for a launch and it turned out to be a beautiful, amazing sight.

4. Re: Jetty Park -bicycle?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 17:17