We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report for 5/11/09 Shuttle Launch

Fairport, New York
Level Contributor
826 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report for 5/11/09 Shuttle Launch

We flew into Orlando from Western NY on Mothers Day and got set up at the Quality Inn Plaza on International Drive. The Gator/Greyline Tour picked us up at 6:20 for a 2:01 PM launch and by 8:00 we were at the Space Center Visitor Complex.

We were told to exit with all of our things, including folding chairs, since the bus was to be cleared by Security. We walked thru Security to enter the visitors center where they did a very basic "search" of all out stuff and were to meet back at the bus by 10:45. Everything I read said no back packs but that obviously was not the case since there were many backpacks and that was never an issue apparently.

Everyone started straggling back to the bus and we finally let around 11:35 for the causeway viewing area and got there to unload around 12:30. We were lucky that we only had 1 1/2 hour until the "scheduled" launch, and it got off on time, since it was blistered hot (88degrees^, dew point in the upper 70's, high humidity, and UV10 + extreme. There is no shade but we brought umbrellas and settled down in our chairs with umbrellas, soft sided cooler with water/ice/washcloths and waited.

The launch was spectacular, will have pictures up shortly. Within the 1/2 hour after launch everyone was on their bus and on their way "home".

Since we could not find any information anywhere about what to expect, we went in mostly blind so if anybody has any questions then let me know since we would have done some things different if we had know.

Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
International Drive
International Drive
4,522 Reviews
Orlando, FL
in england
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report for 5/11/09 Shuttle Launch

What a sight that must have been! I was watching it live on tv at home. It brought back some great memories of my trip there last year, unfortunately, there were no launches planned while I was there. I envy you!

2. Re: Trip Report for 5/11/09 Shuttle Launch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 November 2009, 00:30