We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best viewing site for a shuttle launch & how to get tickets

Asheville, NC USA
2 posts
Save Topic
Best viewing site for a shuttle launch & how to get tickets

I want to see a shuttle launch and have been told the causeway is the best viewing area. You need tickets I see. Is this the best place? If so how do you get tickets? They are sold out already for the June 13th launch. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Palm Coast, Florida
Destination Expert
for Flagler Beach, Palm Coast
Level Contributor
2,077 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best viewing site for a shuttle launch & how to get tickets

You can see the launch from anywhere around here. Any of the causeways are open but IMO traffic make it un safe. Where will you be staying?

Asheville, NC USA
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best viewing site for a shuttle launch & how to get tickets

Thank you for replying.

I don't know yet where I will be staying. I would like to see the launch as close as possible. I understand from most places you can NOT see the launch pad. As this may be the only time I can see a launch I want to see as much as I can. I am still researching everything and may delay my trip to the August launch. Apparently, the best viewing area requires a ticket and those are sold out. Is this true that there is a causeway area that has you bussed to it and sells out very quickly? Any info and advice is appreciated.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
872 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best viewing site for a shuttle launch & how to get tickets

The "best viewing area" for Space Shuttle launches open to the general public is on the NASA Causeway, between Kennedy Space Center and the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, this is only six miles from the launch pad and has a nice, clear view. To get here you have to buy the "Launch Viewing Transportation" ticket from the KSC visitor's center website, and as you've found out, they sell out very quickly.

It is also possible to watch a shuttle launch from the NASA Causeway by hiring a private sightseeing tour company. You can find a link to some of them on the KSC Visitor Center website where it says, "Launch Transportation Packages". If you choose this option, be sure that they are taking you to the NASA Causeway viewing area and not the Visitor Center viewing area. The view from the KSC visitor center is not as close and is obstructed by terrain, you can not see the launch pad from the visitor center.

Alternatively, there are many great locations outside of KSC to watch a launch from that have great views and are free. You can search this forum for "Space View Park" or "Shuttle Launch Viewing" for suggestions.

Mentioned in this post
NASA Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex
NASA Kennedy Space...
17,631 Reviews
Titusville, FL
Cape Canaveral
Cape Canaveral
Brevard County, FL
Space View Park
Space View Park
140 Reviews
Titusville, FL
4. Re: Best viewing site for a shuttle launch & how to get tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2009, 07:21
5. Re: Best viewing site for a shuttle launch & how to get tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2010, 00:18