We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cedar Key reviews?

Level Contributor
4 posts
130 reviews
Save Topic
Cedar Key reviews?

Sorry to be blunt, but who are the travellers promoting Cedar Key? Apart from natural habitat it's a bland, run down shackle of a town. Totally lacking in many areas.

Not a place I would visit again. Stick to Homossasa!

Mentioned in this post
Cedar Key
Cedar Key
Florida
30 replies to this topic
Apalachicola...
Level Contributor
3,427 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cedar Key reviews?

But have you visited Perry??? ;)

Level Contributor
4 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cedar Key reviews?

No. I will research it further. I see it on the 27. Thanks

Apalachicola...
Level Contributor
3,427 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cedar Key reviews?

I apologize. I was being sarcastic.

Metro Orlando
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
4,355 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cedar Key reviews?

I've never known Cedar Key to be a major tourist destination, so I'm not sure it's really worth the negative review. I thought I heard somewhere that it was a place where folks from Gainesville went to the beach.

I flew in there once about 20 years ago and had lunch. I thought it was OK, although haven't exactly gone out of my way to go back.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
17,309 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cedar Key reviews?

Don't even recall seeing a beach in Cedar Key. I have always described it as an "Old Florida" type of town and have always said it's very small. It is quaint but by no means a major tourist destination. I think many people prefer it just the way it is. We only spent a few hours there a number of years ago. Didn't get to see many of the shops because it was "off season" and some places were closed for the month.

Mentioned in this post
Cedar Key
Cedar Key
Florida
Florida
Florida
United States
Metro Orlando
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
Level Contributor
4,355 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cedar Key reviews?

If I ever get current with my pilot's license again and want to impress some folks there's a good chance I'll take them there for lunch. They've got a dinky little strip out on an island with grass growing through the cracks and water on both ends. It looks like something you'd see in a movie hidden in the middle of nowhere down in the Keys (as opposed to the middle of nowhere in the panhandle). When I was there they even had a busted airplane pushed off (mostly) to the side of the runway. It's all really cool in an "am I really seeing this" sort of way.

Colorado
Level Contributor
4,296 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cedar Key reviews?

When we lived in Crystal River Cedar Key was our "go-to" place for great seafood. Personally I love Cedar Key for what it is--a great little fishing village. People go there because they WANT TO. It is a great little town. I spent two of the most peaceful hours of my life just sitting on the pier gazing at the water and the movement of boats. Watching fish jump and pelicans' movement is a great study of nature. It pains me to have someone bash such a charming village.

Edited: 15 January 2017, 22:45
Mentioned in this post
Orlando
Level Contributor
11,470 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cedar Key reviews?

"Apart from natural habitat it's a bland, run down shackle of a town."

Then you missed the point. That IS why you go to Cedar Key, because of its natural habitat, lack of chains, and small town feel. I don't think anybody ever tried to sell it as Disney LOL.

No, there are not any beaches either. It is more of a boating and fishing town.

Mentioned in this post
Cedar Key
Cedar Key
Florida
Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,379 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cedar Key reviews?

I had a couple nights scheduled on Cedar Key this past September. I was forced to cancel due to a family emergency. Can't wait to get the trip rescheduled this summer. I've never been, but, somehow, I know it's my kind of place. Of course, I live on Pine Island, so that sort of makes sense. I suspect they're somewhat similar.

Mentioned in this post
Cedar Key
Cedar Key
Florida
Cedar Key, Florida...
Level Contributor
17 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cedar Key reviews?

Some like it quiet, laid back, no Disney-esque attractions. Some like birds, fishing, peaceful. Some like to walk to restaurants and shopping. Some like to hang out in solitude. Some like the hometown/Old Florida atmosphere. And the Seafood Festival, Arts Festival and Pirate Festival are well-attended. And it's pretty clear that there are many looking for all this and more.

Not many places like Cedar Key anymore. And I like it that way. :)

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Cedar Key
Cedar Key
Florida
Reply to: Cedar Key reviews?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cedar Key
Recent Conversations