We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying into Cedar Key

north carolina
Level Contributor
6 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Flying into Cedar Key

My husband and I will be flying into Cedar Key for 2-3 night vacation, then on to Sun'n Fun. Looking for advice on place to stay near airport and good places to eat. Are there rental cars available and is parking easy in town? Wondering about condition of runway.

Mentioned in this post
Cedar Key
Cedar Key
Florida
8 replies to this topic
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,478 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying into Cedar Key

Are you serious? Are you flying in on your own plane? It would be easier for your to fly into a larger city and rent a car and drive to Cedar Key.

Pull up Google Maps. Take a look at the size of Cedar Key. It is very small.

On Google maps try the search "accommodations near Cedar Key, Florida" and I don't think there is anywhere to rent a car in Cedar Key.

Mentioned in this post
Cedar Key
Cedar Key
Florida
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
37,757 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying into Cedar Key

you'll be far better served to fly into Lakeland and get a car from there.

Mentioned in this post
Lakeland
Lakeland
Central Florida, FL
Cedar Key, Florida...
Level Contributor
17 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying into Cedar Key

Hello!

Cedar Key has a small airport - info is here: cedarkeyairport.org/

There are no services at the airport - no rental cars. But a taxi service monitors for folks flying in needing a ride to town which is about a mile or so away. Typically people will rent a golf cart to wander around the island. There's several restaurants, shopping and other services on Dock and Second Street. For more information about potential rentals or hotels, check the Chamber of Commerce at cedarkey.org. Be aware that this is the start of snowbird season in Cedar Key, so finding lodging can be a bit of a struggle from mid-January to mid-April.

Have a great visit!

Cindy

Mentioned in this post
Cedar Key
Cedar Key
Florida
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
814 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying into Cedar Key

I assume you are flying in on your own plane. As for Cedar Key itself not sure about hotels, as for cars, you may be able to rent a golf cart. http://www.gulfkartcompany.com/

Mentioned in this post
Cedar Key
Cedar Key
Florida
north carolina
Level Contributor
6 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying into Cedar Key

Thank you for the suggestions. We look forward to flying into CK. There are numberous YouTube videos by pilots on approach but nothing about accomodations. The Chamber of Commerce should be able to help, but the laid-back use of golf carts sounds appealing.

north carolina
Level Contributor
6 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying into Cedar Key

Thank you Cindy for details, particularly about the Snow Birds. Forgot about that "migration" of fellow species seeking warmth, fun, and relaxation.

Cedar Key, Florida...
Level Contributor
17 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying into Cedar Key

You are very welcome! The Chamber's website has lots of options for lodging - our condos have a few holes in the schedule, but we're booked for the most part until April! Cedar Key is a lovely spot to have a quick escape! Try dinner at Steamers - my favorite! CK farms its own clams and oysters and I am enjoying a dinner of oysters on the half shell tonight, hauled back from CK the other day. They are AMAZING!

Take care and enjoy!

Cindy

cindy @ visitcedarkey

Mentioned in this post
Cedar Key
Cedar Key
Florida
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
8 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying into Cedar Key

We flew in for the first time today. The runway is in very good condition. Of course, being a pilot you're aware that it is a short runway with water at both ends, so be prepared. Also be aware that you don't want to be flying in for your first visit in hazy or low cloud conditions; good visibility is important. I recommend EZ Ride Bike Taxi for transportation from the airport in to town. The owner-operator is Randy Avery 352-693-9099. He was very helpful to us.

Reply to: Flying into Cedar Key
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cedar Key
Recent Conversations