We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Cedar Key similar to the Fla Keys?

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
7 posts
43 reviews
Is Cedar Key similar to the Fla Keys?

Does Cedar Key look at all like the Florida Keys? Considering an overnight there on the way to Destin from Ft Myers...would it be worth going that far west off i75 for an overnight? Is the water clear and swimmable? Is there a sandy beach? We love the Florida Keys and if Cedar is at all like that would love to see it!

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
17,631 posts
112 reviews
1. Re: Is Cedar Key similar to the Fla Keys?

Nothing like the Florida Keys in any way. It's located on a lagoon. I did not see any beach access while we were there. Its a super small town. Very old Florida and even more laid back than the keys. Certain times of year many shops are closed. They only open during tourist season. I would look at Crystal River if you want a beach. Still not the keys but not as sleepy as Cedar. I liked Cedar Key but dont expect it to have plenty to do. Very very laid back.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
50,031 posts
22 reviews
2. Re: Is Cedar Key similar to the Fla Keys?

I agree nithing like- all though some love it there. If looking for a place to stop, with nearby restaurants and things, but on a beach, look at Clearwater.

If you want a smaller feel, look at AMI

Maragogi, AL
Destination Expert
for Maragogi, Maceio, Porto de Galinhas, Recife, Japaratinga, Tamandare, Costa dos Corais
Level Contributor
6,585 posts
264 reviews
3. Re: Is Cedar Key similar to the Fla Keys?

Amanx: So what's AMI?

Edited: 13 May 2015, 05:26
Jon
Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Key West, Avalon
Level Contributor
1,816 posts
224 reviews
4. Re: Is Cedar Key similar to the Fla Keys?

AMI = Anna Maria Island. Located off of Bradenton, very nice little town with nice beaches.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
7 posts
43 reviews
5. Re: Is Cedar Key similar to the Fla Keys?

Thank you, all. We decided thanks to your recommendations to skip it since it's so far west off i75 heading north and the drive is over 9 hours to Destin/Fort Walton Beach as it is doing the Scenic Highway along the Panhandle coast which is a must do. If we catch Cedar Key in the future we'll be sure to do it during the season when all is open and will repost on how it went. Thank you so much again! P..S. Now AMI is definitely going to be on the radar😃😃.

Edited: 13 May 2015, 11:41
Cedar Key
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Is Cedar Key similar to the Fla Keys?

Cedar Key is Not a lagoon. It is on the Gulf of Mexico and our kayak rental business is open all year, as are most other businesses. We do close early on weekdays but post a sign to call if we step away during business hours, and we are helping our customers in a "Cedar Key Minute"! We are not like Key West of 2000, but Key West of 1950 (before they imported all the sand). Key West also has active reefs, which we do not. They are awesome for snorkeling. Key West has both the Atlantic Ocean and the Gulf of Mexico, so their marine life is diverse.

Cedar Key is the second oldest city in Florida and full of history. I will agree we are not a "beach town". If you love nature, unspoiled by man, you will love Cedar Key. We are located on a migratory Bird path and Cedar Key beaches are great for birders. Our winter tides are very low, particularly with NE winds all winter, so be sure and check your tide charts if you visit. Also, we have NO stoplights and no light pollution. Great for stargazing!!

Amelia Island is one of my favorite beaches in the State. You won't be disappointed in the beaches. But please, check out our beloved Cedar Key. We are the largest town ON the Gulf between Crystal River and Appalachicola! The Big Bend area of Florida is over 150 miles from the continental shelf and waters are shallow nearer land. Off the shelf, they drop down to over 1000 + feet. Around Way Key (where CK is located) water depth averages 3-6 feet. Fishing is awesome and there are nice beaches on offshore islands, like Atsena Otie, only a 25 minute paddle away!

Brookfield...
Level Contributor
2 posts
378 reviews
7. Re: Is Cedar Key similar to the Fla Keys?

Just saw this question and maybe you trip is over. But no, Cedar Key is nothing like the southern Florida keys down by Key West or Marathon. Don't get me wrong, I like it and have vacationed in Cedar Key many times, but the water is stained and murky and the beaches are quite small and muddy at times. Lots of broken oyster shells in the water. There's a pretty big tide that exposes mud flats next to shore. Having said that, you can kayak or boat out to nearby off-shore islands that do have nice beaches. The big draw here is the natural beauty, great fishing (esp. Redfish and Trout), good food and laid-back nature of this isolated coastal town.

Cedar Key
Level Contributor
21 posts
170 reviews
8. Re: Is Cedar Key similar to the Fla Keys?

No. Cedar Key is an old fishing village. We are all about boating, fishing, star-gazing, kayaking, canoeing, bike riding, hiking, nature and birding. There are two excellent small museums on the island, Cedar Key Historical Society Museum and the State Museum. By boat you can visit and explore the Cedar Key National Wildlife Refuge, 13 uninhabited islands. The Lower Suwannee National Wildlife Preserve is beautiful, natural and untouched by man. There are no shopping malls, no movie theaters, no pharmacy. Cedar Key is a destination for those who love and enjoy nature. If you need to be entertained with flash and glitter Cedar Key is not the place. Relax, explore, Bring your canvas and paint brushes, bring your camera, bring your binoculars, bring a good book. Bring your pet as Cedar Key is a very pet friendly community.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
1 post
18 reviews
9. Re: Is Cedar Key similar to the Fla Keys?

My sister and I are visiting Cedar Key in mid-October. We know that the town was hard hit by Hermine and have been following the online news about it. Can anyone describe the current state of recovery and do you know if will we still be able to kayak and visit the surrounding keys by boat? Many thanks.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
17,631 posts
112 reviews
10. Re: Is Cedar Key similar to the Fla Keys?

Jkg, you should repost this as a separate question. This is a very old post started in 2015. You may want to start your own thread.

Get answers to your questions about Cedar Key
Recent Conversations