We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Difference between Caladesi and Honeymoon Is?

Huntingtown...
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Difference between Caladesi and Honeymoon Is?

Hi! We are first timers heading to Clearwater and I am trying to "plan" some activities. Is there a huge difference between Caladesi and Honeymoon Island? Would you go to both or just one? We have two teens and a 10 year old. (We typically go to PCB and spend the day at Shell Island, this is what I am visualizing these two.)

Thank you for your help!!!!!

Level Contributor
34 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Difference between Caladesi and Honeymoon Is?

Hello Leann, Honeymoon Island is at the West end of the Dunedin Causeway. It is an award winning state park and offer beautiful beaches, nature trails, etc. My family enjoys stopping in often. It costs $8.00 for a single vehicle (up to 4 occupants) to enter. The beaches are very rocky for the first 20 feet or so as you enter the water, but after that its smooth swimming. Caladesi on the other hand is an actual Island. You can access the ferry at the first turn on the left once you enter Honeymoon Island. The ferry costs about $6.00 (includes both ways) and the ride takes about 10 minutes. The beaches on Caladesi are rockless and the Shelling is amazing! Honestly either way you can't go wrong, but I would recommend Caladesi to pick one. This is based on the privacy, no rocks, and shelling (I have personally found 2 conch shells over the years and tons of other beautiful pieces.) Hope you have a great time! Art

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,557 posts
258 reviews
2. Re: Difference between Caladesi and Honeymoon Is?

We stayed in Clearwater and visited both Honeymoon & Caldesi islands on the same day.

When we arrived at the visitors centre on Honeymoon island we decided to join a tour that was being led by a park ranger. It lasted well over an hour and we walked around various trails and spotted various birds and tortoises. Very interesting.

We then got the boat over to Caldesi where we spent a very pleasent afternoon on the beach.

It's a very quiet and peaceful place so you feel like you are miles from anywhere yet you can still see the skyscraper hotels and apartment blocks further along the coast.

Definitely worth a trip to both.

Oslo
Level Contributor
868 posts
384 reviews
3. Re: Difference between Caladesi and Honeymoon Is?

A coin toss. I enjoy Honeymoon. Head all the way out (Parking area) and walk the trails as far as one can go. Quite quiet and nice.

nyc
Level Contributor
2,754 posts
26 reviews
4. Re: Difference between Caladesi and Honeymoon Is?

Go to both!

Cadelesi is awesome, and should be visited at least once.

Honeymoon island is a family beach enviorment. Shallow beach, soft sand. I have seen inflatables in the water.

Stay until sunset at both locations.

nyc
Level Contributor
2,754 posts
26 reviews
5. Re: Difference between Caladesi and Honeymoon Is?

Go to both!

Cadelesi is awesome, and should be visited at least once.

Honeymoon island is a family beach enviorment. Shallow beach, soft sand. I have seen inflatables in the water.

Stay until sunset at both locations.

Huntingtown...
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
6. Re: Difference between Caladesi and Honeymoon Is?

Thank you so much!

Huntingtown...
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
7. Re: Difference between Caladesi and Honeymoon Is?

Thank you!

3 posts
8. Re: Difference between Caladesi and Honeymoon Is?

Just saw that you have teens and a 10 yr old so may want this sort of info. Never been to Caladesi yet but Honeymoon has rock walls about 100 ft out into the water that form protected shallow water pools. The rock walls are excellent for snorkeling as many fish such as snook, snapper, spade fish, sheepshead, etc can all be seen in abundance. Manatees will sometimes pop up beside you and around the area also to say hello.

Huntingtown...
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
9. Re: Difference between Caladesi and Honeymoon Is?

Thank you so very much for all of your help!!!!!!

10. Re: Difference between Caladesi and Honeymoon Is?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2018, 00:17