We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clearwater or ST PETE?

connecticut
Level Contributor
596 posts
Clearwater or ST PETE?

Traveling mid week. Couple in 40s no kids. Looking for a Place with beach bars Nearby.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
11 posts
13 reviews
1. Re: Clearwater or ST PETE?

St. Petersburg!!! I am born and raised here and I cannot stand Clearwater Beach. There is way too much traffic and it has become a tourist attraction. If you visit St. Pete Beach, you are nearby John's Pass and Treasure Island. These are all great places to hang out and bar hop. The locals are very friendly. Have a great time!

St. Pete Beach...
Level Contributor
2,050 posts
50 reviews
2. Re: Clearwater or ST PETE?

St Pete beach has great beach bars with good food and music nightly. You can walk from one beach bar to another along the beach or take the free beach rides, (work for tips). Very laid back, casual beach. There are also a number of places to dine in or order take out as well as delivery, from from old time "florida" places for breakfast, diners, steak houses, sea food, Mexican, Italian, Tapas, Thai, burgers/beach bars, etc.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
1,719 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Clearwater or ST PETE?

All that is in CWB too...lets have some honesty...

Edited: 06 August 2017, 18:27
New Braunfels, Texas
Level Contributor
323 posts
85 reviews
4. Re: Clearwater or ST PETE?

Both are good choices for what you want. Clearwater Beach is small and very walkable. St. Pete Beach is long and stretched out.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,333 posts
34 reviews
5. Re: Clearwater or ST PETE?

What Julie said. Being older we prefer CWB for the walkabilty. No car rental, parking concerns.....it's all about relaxing!

Cape Canaveral...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,829 posts
45 reviews
6. Re: Clearwater or ST PETE?

I have to say I prefer St. Pete Beach (and Treasure Island) over Clearwater Beach, which has always seemed too congested and overly crowded to me. We lived in downtown St. Pete in the 90s and frequented the beaches from SPB to CB while we lived in the area. A couple years ago we attended a beach wedding in Clearwater Beach and in April of this year we spent a long weekend in St. Pete Beach. While both areas have changed in the past 20 years, my preference for SPB has not. I love the laid back beach town vibe and all the beach bars in the area.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,936 posts
197 reviews
7. Re: Clearwater or ST PETE?

We love St. Pete Beach as well (note that "St. Pete" and "St. Pete Beach" are two SEPARATE places - St. Pete is on Tampa Bay, while St. Pete Beach is on the Gulf).

While Clearwater Beach has a lot of activities within walking distance, we found it FAR too congested! SPB was very relaxing and still had touches of the "Old Florida" feel to it.

connecticut
Level Contributor
596 posts
8. Re: Clearwater or ST PETE?

Thank you for all of the advice! We went to St. Petersburg 10 years ago and strongly disliked it. We have been twice to St. Pete beach in the past 2 years and enjoyed it. Thought we might mix it up and try Clearwater. Looks like either would be a good choice.

Level Contributor
34 posts
5 reviews
9. Re: Clearwater or ST PETE?

Hi New2Mexico, My vote is Clearwater Beach! Everything is within walking distance, there is no spring break crowd so things will be very relaxed and chill, and there is plenty of parking. A great suggestion is the Palm Pavilion Grill & Bar. They are located DIRECTLY on the beach and have an unparalleled view of the Gulf from your stool at the bar. It is also on the north end of Clearwater Beach which is where the locals hang out ;)

Edited: 08 August 2017, 13:55
10. Re: Clearwater or ST PETE?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2018, 01:17