We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Here we go again 2 - Restaurants

Fayetteville...
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Here we go again 2 - Restaurants

Long time lurker, few time poster. I am in the process in of planning my trip for this summer. I already have the condo booked but I am looking for new restaurants that are good and wanting to avoid old restaurants that have went down hill. In February of 2008 missingthesand originally posted this topic. Since it has been over a year I was wondering if any opinions had changed or if there were some new additions to peoples personal favorites since there have been so many new restaurants opened in the last year.

Already on my list are McGuire’s, Dewey Destin, Harbor Docks (my wife’s favorite, but just okay with me), Callahan’s, Stinky’s, Louisiana Lagniappe (not JoeMammy’s favorite but we really like it).

JamBone seems to be popular for BBQ but was also wondering if Pig Alley was any good since it went under new ownership last year.

We also like to spend a day or two at Grayton Beach and was wonder if Flip Flops Grill or Seagrove Market were any good for lunch.

I have others as well but I will leave it at that for now.

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Here we go again 2 - Restaurants

If you are at Grayton Beach - I would hit Red Bar for lunch. Flip Flops is east of Seaside - good burger.

A friend went to Deweys recently and was not impressed - he has been a big fan for a long time - hopefully just an off day.

Hernando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Here we go again 2 - Restaurants

Lou Lag has been remodeled. I like the food there I just hate the parking situation and don't like to valet.

Your list is pretty solid. Baby Js has great appetizers and they are all $5 from 4-7, they have good sushi rolls too and if you like oysters they are freshly shucked to order and ice cold.

Fayetteville...
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Here we go again 2 - Restaurants

MBL – The Red Bar is definitely on our list but if we go to Grayton twice I was looking for a second option (To many restaurants on my list to put them all on here and not enough days to go to all of them either). Your statement about Flip Flops on the burger is the same thing I keep hearing. Good to hear, I will pencil it in.

JM – Lou Lag is valet now? That is no good. I hate valet. That is one of the things I hate about Harbor Docks. You either use the valet or take your chances getting hit by traffic crossing the road from the other parking lot.

Also is Baby Js kid friendly? I will have a 1 and 6 year old in tow. Well, maybe no happy hour for us then ;) This is why you don’t see any romantic/upper scale restaurants on my list. Someday when we can afford to spend two weeks in Destin, 1 week with the kids in the summer and 1 week just mom and dad in the winter.

Thanks for your reply guys!

Destin, FL
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
2,975 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Here we go again 2 - Restaurants

LL - is not valet only parking, you just have to get lucky to find a space without having to walk a little bit...

Sometimes after eating there, you need a nice stroll to work off your dinner though..

Gainesville, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gainesville
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
1,222 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Here we go again 2 - Restaurants

jambones is much more than bbq, so don't be mislead by the bbq label. do not miss the red bar what ever you do, an i would also like to highly endorse stinky's fish camp, we had an excellent meal there and though it's seems to be on a different calibre than the red bar, every bit as good. the smoked tomato tartar sauce is the only tartar sauce i've ever liked in my entire life. friendly folks at all three places so you are sure to enjoy!

Arlington, TX
Destination Expert
for Fort Worth
Level Contributor
2,493 posts
584 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Here we go again 2 - Restaurants

We are really looking forward to trying Jambone's burger this year-I hear RAVE reviews!

Stinky's has opened a sister restaurant that's a bit more upscale called The Lake Place (original location burned a few years ago) and it's getting rave reviews as well. Stinky's has my favorite shrimp basket in the area and a crazy good crawfish pie.

Flip Flops has very good burgers, a great chili dog with homemade chili as well as poboys.

Seagrove Market is a happy part of our vacation tradition, their ribeye (more of an affordable thin cut) is always tasty, good burger, good fried shrimp sandwich; not the best on 30A but always good and enjoyable.

Bayou Bills on 98 has rebuilt and that's a vacation tradition for us as well, love the crab cake and fried shrimp combo.

We are also looking forward to trying George's at Alys Beach this summer as it's getting great reviews as well.

We stay at Seagrove for 2 weeks so we make it to many restaurants during our travels but we always hit the Red Bar at least twice and last trip we had Stinky's 4 times!

Johns Creek, Georgia
Level Contributor
6 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Here we go again 2 - Restaurants

We are staying at Gulf Shores and drove across the street to Lou Lag for dinner tonight. There were plenty of parking spaces next to the tennis court right at the entrance. The food was great, better than last year or the year before, but the place was not crowded at all. There was no valet in sight.

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Here we go again 2 - Restaurants

This week seems really slow down here - not many people at all - kind of nice

9. Re: Here we go again 2 - Restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2009, 02:21