We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches..Public vs. Private

Which Destin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mn
Level Contributor
427 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Beaches..Public vs. Private

What constitutes a public beach vs. a private beach in Destin or SoWalCo? Are the rules the same for each? How about the public passing thru a "private" beach?

Sugar Land, Texas
Level Contributor
2,525 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches..Public vs. Private

I believe all beaches are public. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Hernando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,266 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches..Public vs. Private

20' from the high water line is public. The sheriff's dept knows this and will not bother you if an umbrella vendor challenges you.

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
7,836 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaches..Public vs. Private

In Florida, beaches below the "mean high water line" are public. Private owners presumably have the right to barricade everything beyond that line, which in practice may not be quite so easy to define. A historic Florida Supreme Court decision upheld the public's right to recreational use of dry-sand areas of the beach. Recent lawsuits have attempted to restrict or eliminate such access.

theledger.com/article/…

destin florida
Level Contributor
495 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beaches..Public vs. Private

Is there a reason you are asking the question of private vs public beach ? This has been a VERY sore subject in our area for a few years now with law suits still in place.

Mn
Level Contributor
427 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beaches..Public vs. Private

Our trips are always at Sandestin or Tops'l. Directly to the east is 4 mile beach area, along with a stretch of progressively more exclusive homes. We really enjoy our walks on that section of beach at various times of day, but at the same time are conscious of intruding on the privacy that others have paid a ton of money for. There are signs prohibiting certain activities there. We just want to be doing the right thing as visitors.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
4,986 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beaches..Public vs. Private

Good question, I've often wondered that as I've walked on the beaches. I just want to make sure I understand what you're saying, I take it as meaning this: As I walk along the water's edge, I look to the north, away from the water. When I see the highest point where the water has lapped up from high tide or big waves, 20 feet further north (away from the water) is where the private property starts, right? So if I'm right on the edge of the waves, it's probably as much as 30-60 feet of sand away from the water that's all public?

Texas
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Beaches..Public vs. Private

I have a related question. We are looking to book a house/townhouse, etc in August, some claim private beach access. Was wondering if it really matters as it pertains to the crowds and quality of the beach? Are the public beaches crowded? should we pay more for private beach access? we have multiple kids that we sometimes have trouble keeping track of them in heavily populated areas. Thanks.

Santa Rosa Beach...
Level Contributor
618 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beaches..Public vs. Private

AS Joe Mammy commented " 20' from the high water line is public. The sheriff's dept knows this "

your question all depends where you are staying at - i may claim private beach access, but it could for arguments sake be located next door to a 10-story condo.

TN
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Beaches..Public vs. Private

Does this apply to Silver Shells also, the last few years it seems they've gotten extreme saying your not allowed your own umbrellas, if you choose to bring your own setup.

Destin, FL
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
2,732 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beaches..Public vs. Private

As long as you are walking up and down the beach, you should never run into a problem with public vs. private.......

If you stop and pitch a tent, roll out the kegs, etc.... you might as well be standing up in front of 50 yardline season ticket holders at your favorite college/pro ballteam and expect to be left alone.....