We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Destin or Sanibel??

Which Destin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
KC
Level Contributor
86 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Destin or Sanibel??

I realize both areas are very different. Trying to decide on what would be a better trip in late April for 2 adults, and kids ages 6 & 8. Would welcome any feedback or suggestions!

Ohio
Level Contributor
89 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Destin or Sanibel??

Destin hands down. I love Sanibel but I feel the children will enjoy Destin better and of course there is so many things for all of you to do. This message board past posts will give you lots of ideas and information. Enjoy your trip and if you choose Sanibel, check out that message board as that has helped me also. I don't think you can go wrong with either one but Destin would be my first choice.

Santa Rosa Beach...
Level Contributor
618 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Destin or Sanibel??

Can't go wrong with either . As a resident of 30A , come to Destin.

Keep in mind depending when in April the water here still may be cold.

Both beaches beautiful but slight edge to destin , sanibel less crowded and best shelling in the world

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
Level Contributor
2,695 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Destin or Sanibel??

Simply based on weather, you have a better chance for a cool snap in Destin in late April. Sannibel can practically promise warm weather then.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Destin or Sanibel??

Destin IMO. There's a lot of attractions for a family and no beach in the US is better than the Destin area. Sanibel is near a busy area. Destin is almost remote compared to the Ft. Myers area.

Santa Rosa Beach...
Level Contributor
618 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Destin or Sanibel??

Sanibel is very remote and less populated then destin , not as much traffic or high rises.

I will agree on the beach part

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
2,762 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Destin or Sanibel??

Sanibel for the time of year. Better chance of the water being swimable in April on Sanibel. Destin may still have a few cool days in April.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
44,845 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Destin or Sanibel??

In April?

Sanibel hands down. Destin will be most years too cool and the water too cold for me in April. And then there is the high rise busy thing. I like lower build, lower tempo when I am on a beach holiday. And with kids that age, I think you would too. If you want all the fun of the fair with the whole big busy boardwalk feel, I'd go for Clearwater/st Pete in april just because it should be warmer than Destin in April.

If you need a big, bigger, biggest feel you can hop over the bridge and go the FMB for a day.

Arlington, TX
Destination Expert
for Fort Worth
Level Contributor
2,455 posts
484 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Destin or Sanibel??

I greatly prefer Destin to Sanibel but we were in Destin the last week of May in 2009 and the weather was great but the water was still quite chilly even then so I have to say Sanibel for April.

We haven' t been but we have friends that love Anna Maria Island for a family vacation.

KC
Level Contributor
86 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Destin or Sanibel??

Thanks so much, all of your feedback is very helpful!! So, what if the weather temps were no issue. If we came later in May for example. Would that change your recommendation?

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,390 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Destin or Sanibel??

Destins weather is perfect in May and until the end of May there are no real crowds May and October is when I tell my family and friends to come down - my favorite time of the year here.