We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scuba Diving Destin, FL

Which Destin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cornelius, North...
Level Contributor
20 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Scuba Diving Destin, FL

Can anyone provide any advice on the best scuba diving spots (shore dives) and charter services in Destin? I will be visiting in late May and would love to get some bottom time if it is worth it. Any advice on dive spots, etc. would be a great help.

Hernando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
3,266 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scuba Diving Destin, FL

Not much for shore dives, all you'll see is sand. I have dove under the Marler Bridge which was an easy walk in dive, but you really need to be cautious of the boat traffic. There are some huge redfish and some grouper deep below the bridge. You could dive the jetties but you really need to be aware of the currents which can be very swift, you see alot of divers hauling their gear out to the east jetty.

Best bet is go with a dive operation, they offer reef, wreck and shallow water dives:

http://www.scubatechnwfl.com/

Juneau AK
Level Contributor
615 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scuba Diving Destin, FL

If you go to this forum, you will have all your questions answered:

www.scubaboard.com/forums/deep-dixie-divers/

The people are very helpful there, and you can search older posts for info. There are two diving outfits in Destin, and I think most people are happy with either of them. The only real shore dive is the east jetty, which has lots of fish, but you have to haul your gear quite a ways. You also have to time your dive with high slack tide. Late May would be an ideal time for diving. In addition, there are a few springs you can dive - Vortex, Morrison, etc. that are about an hour drive from Destin.

Edited: 02 February 2012, 14:35
Tennessee
Level Contributor
923 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scuba Diving Destin, FL

We always go with Scubatech. They are a top rate operation. I have not gone with the other dive op in Destin, but have heard horror stories from others who have. We make numerous dives on the Sea Cobra with Capt. Nancy and crew. We will be back for two weeks in July and will again be going out with Scubatech. Give them a call. You will not be sorry.

4. Re: Scuba Diving Destin, FL

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2013, 05:23