We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a Resort/Condo/Timeshare with Family Activities

Which Destin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Geneva, Illinois
Level Contributor
69 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for a Resort/Condo/Timeshare with Family Activities

Hi there... we want to take our family to Destin this summer for our first visit. We are used to going to resorts/timeshares that have 2-3 bedrooms and nice pools, We also like having resorts/timeshares that have an onsite place to get things like drinks, snack foods, light lunches etc and also want something that has family/kid activities (not looking for somewhere to drop them off). Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!

U.S.
Level Contributor
3,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a Resort/Condo/Timeshare with Family Activities

You will love the beaches and the area here!

It sounds like you are looking for one of the larger, full service, resorts...

Here are a few that come to mind.

Sandestin - Huge resort, many options for dining and activities onsite, including the Sandestin Hilton and the Grand Boulevard complex. During high season they should have things to offer for kids.

Silver Shells - another large resort. Close in to Destin. Large beachfront pool. I am assuming that they do offer food and drinks.

Seascape Resort Complex - Ariel Dunes - Majestic Sun

Another huge complex.

This is across the two-lane 98 hwy from the actual Gulf.

This may or not be a huge deal for you.

Across the Bridge over at Ft. Walton:

Destin West and Waterscape both have nicely landscaped pools, kiddie pools, lazy river, etc... These may be a hit with the kids.

The great Experts here may have many other great ideas!

Hope this helps!

Edited: 09 March 2012, 16:31
Geneva, Illinois
Level Contributor
69 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a Resort/Condo/Timeshare with Family Activities

Thank you very much! Great feedback! We will be looking for a resort directly overlooking the water (not looking to cross a street). I know that may sound picky, but for 1 week a year, we like to be that way!

Geneva, Illinois
Level Contributor
69 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a Resort/Condo/Timeshare with Family Activities

Has anyone stayed at Silver Beach Towers? Does this place have the amenities we are looking for or is it more of a traditional condo building? Thanks!

U.S.
Level Contributor
3,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a Resort/Condo/Timeshare with Family Activities

From what I can tell, just here on TA, it is a basic condo.

Not a full service resort.

Some of their condos are managed by different rental agencies, or VRBO-by owner.... So there seems to be a wide variation of how nice the different condos might be kept up. Some report lack of basic things such as tissue in the bathroom.

When renting a condo, sometimes it does make a difference who you rent from.

Silver Shells, just up the beach from Silver Beach Towers would have some amenities. They do have the Pool/Beachside food and drink.

Sandestin would offer almost unlimited amenities.

Edited: 10 March 2012, 21:37
Central Illinois
Level Contributor
353 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a Resort/Condo/Timeshare with Family Activities

Considering the amenities you are looking for I highly recommend traveling an hour east to Panama City Beach and staying at the Wyndham Emerald Beach Resort. It is on the "west side" of PCB so it is on the Destin "side" and is not in a "touristy" area. The area has a Destin feel and the beach is just as wonderful. I have stayed in Sandestin and PCB, at the Wyndham, and prefer PCB. Emerald Beach Resort has an onsite Starbucks, light snacks/beverage service at the pool, cookouts by the pool, a martini bar/lounge on the skywalk and plenty of daily kids activities (I have an 8 year old) everything from swim-up movie night, daytime pool games/contests to crafts and create your own sundae bars. My daughter absolutely loves vacationing there and so do I.

6. Re: Looking for a Resort/Condo/Timeshare with Family Activities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 05:42