We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jellyfish and Turtles

Which Destin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
KC
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Jellyfish and Turtles

I'm coming to Destin for the first time Aug 5th and have been reading up on this forum. Thanks for all of the great info!

Tell me about jellyfish - are they always there? Only with a storm? What do they look like? I've seen people saying they are bringing meat tenderizer or vinegar? Is this what I need in case I get stung?

Are any of the turtles hatching yet? I've seen that you shouldn't use flashlights, is this because it will disorient them? I'd love to see them, but don't want to hinder them in making it to the water. Trying to be a responsible tourist :)

Tennessee
Level Contributor
930 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jellyfish and Turtles

Jellyfish can be in the water at any time. We just got back a week ago from spending 2 weeks on Okaloosa Island and never saw a jellyfish there or while diving out of Destin. It is turtle nesting season. If you must take a flashlight out on the beach at night, make sure you have some sort of red filter on it.

Miramar Beach
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
5,506 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jellyfish and Turtles

Some of the early turtle nests are getting near hatching in the next week or so. The odds of seeing one hatch is very small. When nests get near their time we start to watch them closely but since most nests hatch overnight we usually find them in after they have made their way to the water. Please do not use flashlights at night on the beach. The hatchlings use the moons reflection over the water to guide them. If flashlights or any lights are in the area they get confused and may never make it to the water. If they do make it to the water safely they then have a 24 -48 hour swim to the Sargasso. There they are relatively safe. Making it there is not an easy job. This is why we do whatever we can to help them.

3. Re: Jellyfish and Turtles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2014, 00:17