We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If only I would have known!

U.S.
Level Contributor
2,124 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
If only I would have known!

This is for the Destin veterans. :) What are some of the things you wish you would have known before coming the first time?

130 replies to this topic
U.S.
Level Contributor
2,124 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If only I would have known!

I wish I would have realized how much my entire family loved this place and we would have been coming years ago! We learn something new every year and improve on our trip every year. On the way home I make notes to remember what to do on the next years trip. I will have to go pull my notes out to add to this thread. I thought we could all share some of our tips!

Mn
Level Contributor
464 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If only I would have known!

This year I am going to make a point of bringing a decent frying pan along. We do cook in our condo quite a bit, and we never seem to have a pan that's worth risking a nice piece of fish on.

Also, our first three trips we stayed at the Sandestin Hilton. We were not sure how the condo rental process worked. Knowing what we know now, we would probably never stay there again. Not that it's a bad place. We did enjoy our stays, but it just doesn't have the space that a similarly priced 2BR condo does.

We are hesitant to look at other buildings/areas in Destin because we really have a great time at Tops'l, but it still enters the back of our minds what we might be missing out on further west.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
5,636 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If only I would have known!

Destin veterans, hunh? At least you didn't call us old-timers! On a serious note, I wish we had known that sand bars can easily hide rip currents. We had a very scary incident 3 years ago where my husband (an excellent, strong swimmer) got caught in one. It turned out OK, but we don't go in the Gulf like we used to.

On a frivolous note, how the right hair products can combat the wind and humidity. I can now say Good Bye to the zombie look I had those other years.

Edited: 01 June 2015, 18:27
U.S.
Level Contributor
2,124 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If only I would have known!

I love to cook and usually do every night in the condo. I can't live without my mini food processor. Thats one thing I have brought down the last couple of years. This year I'm thinking about my crockpot. It would be nice to make homeade meatballs in the morn and then simmer them all day in the crock or my chicken tortilla soup would be easy to make in the morning also.

Missouri
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
1,961 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: If only I would have known!

We love to do a shrimp boil one night and the first year we stayed at a place that didn't have a dutch oven, so we had to go buy one. We bring it with us every year now. That first year (10 years ago) we learned a lot of stuff. Like the big cooler on wheels don't work very well in the sand. But I do learn something new every year. 3 days to go for me! Can't wait to learn some more!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
572 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: If only I would have known!

I love this thread! One of my biggest things would be that you don't have to shop at Wally World! The other grocery stores are so easy to navigate, my personal favorite is Publix, especially with my handy dandy beach vacation list. That's another thing, the list, I have switched up the list a little since my son is getting older, but it comes in so handy. I'm sure I will think of more, great entries guys!

Barb, you are so lucky, I bet you can't wait!!

U.S.
Level Contributor
2,124 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: If only I would have known!

I'm thinking of doing a shrimp boil. I have never done one so I am going to try it here at home first then see how it turns out. So you need a really big pot right? 30 more days for me!

Ohio
Level Contributor
691 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: If only I would have known!

Great tips everyone!

1. Have patience. It's going to be crazy crowded.

2. Don't be afraid to eat food off the mainstream path.

3. Bring a good blender if you plan on making frozen drinks.

4. If you have a sam's membership, there's a sam's club in FWB - the prices are consistent, country wide, and you can grab all your things in one non-crowded trip.

5. When people (veterans) give you restaurant suggestions, take them. Don't get sucked in by Fudpuckers and Pompano Joe's ;)

Edited: 02 June 2015, 07:30
Woodbury, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,248 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: If only I would have known!

My perspective is different, because my husband and I own our condo. But we would not have let a management company mange our condo. We did for the first year. And then after a series of employee theft, we took over our self. And have not looked back, after that.

Missouri
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
1,961 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: If only I would have known!

playachick.....yep, you have to have a really big pot for a shrimp boil. Of course depending on the size of your family you could use a smaller one. But I like to give those shrimp some room! haha I have had to use seperate pots (when I forgot to pack my big one) and it just wasn't the same, but it was still okay. Everything is okay on the beach right? 2 days and I'll let ya know. :)

Reply to: If only I would have known!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted