We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Decisions...Decisions

Which Fernandina Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,129 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Decisions...Decisions

Hi, Mum and DD21 looking at coming to Amelia Island/Fernandina Beach [confused between the two areas? are they two seperate places, or in Fernandina Beach IN Amelia Island] Anywho, but I can't decide where to stay, we will be here for 4 nights at the beginning of June. We want to be in walking distance of the beach and the historical district.

There's either the Residence Inn on Salder Rd, or the Hampton by the beach, but I'd rather be on the beach, straight out the door than have to walk.

Or there's the Hampton in the historical dis. and the Florida House Inn, which are walking distance to the all the restuarants and shops, and we could drive to the beach [we will have a car] but I'd rather not.

What do you think? I want to visit Amelia Island, but is there maybe another destination along the east coast that would be more suited for us, I want the charm that AI has, but I want to be on the beach, and in walking distance to the restuarants etc.., we'll also be visiting Savannah, Charleston, Mrytle Beach and Wilmington, NC this trip, is there somewhere that would be better suited to us in between any of those places??? I don't want to go anymore south the Amelia Island, we would also do a daytrip to St Augustine, if we were to stay in AI.

Thoughts?

Fernandina Beach FL
Destination Expert
for Amelia Island, Fernandina Beach
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Decisions...Decisions

emmaxoxo,

To address your geographical question. The City of Fernandina Beach is an incorporated city that occupies about the northern half of Amelia Island. The entire island is part of Nassau County and FB is the county seat of Nassau County.

It is approximately 2.0 miles from the western edge of the 50-block historic district (where the Hampton Inn Downtown is located) along the Amelia River straight across on Atlantic Avenue over to Main Beach on the Atlantic Ocean side. A beautiful scenic walk crossing over Egan's Greenway and Central Park but that may be a greater distance than you had in mind. The Hampton Inn, Days Inn, and Marriott Residence Inn are all side-by-side along Salder Road. There is also Amelia Hotel at the Beach located right across from the beach at A1A (S. Fletcher) and Sadler Road, but you are about 4 miles from the Historic District there and would definately need a car. The closest near-beach hotel to historic district would be Comfort Inn & Suites located a block west of S. Fletcher and Main Beach Park.

I highly recommend FB/AI as your destination as the only real beachfront alternatives you have between Savannah and St. Augustine are St. Simons Island GA or Jekyll Island GA. Beach at St. Simons on the lower half of the island is non-existent 2 hours before and after high tide as the water level comes up to the revertment rocks. Jekyll Island is owned by the state of GA and has a number of oceanfront lodging properties, but if you read the reviews you will see the quality and upkeep vary greatly. Many of the early US millionaires (Rockerfeller, Carnegie, Ford, etc.) built summer homes on Jekyll and many of them can be toured and there is the Sea Turtle Rescue Center there. There are very little dining options on Jekyll in that you will generally have to drive into Brunswick or up to St. Simons.

In your itinerary, be aware that neither Savannah or Charleston is on the ocean. Savannah is about 12 miles inland and Charleston is about 8 miles inland - but both are great places to visit and the historic areas of both are great place to explore on foot.

Hope this information helps. Fire away if we can provide more assistance.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
530 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Decisions...Decisions

St. Augustine is a place you don't want to miss. I would suggest you stay the night, if your budget will allow. It is the oldest city in the United States. I would encourage you to research on Tripadvisor and google too.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
28,064 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Decisions...Decisions

The DE has given you excellent info. We like staying at the Residence Inn because they have a great hot breakfast and even have a meal once or twice a week. We don't mind driving to the beach because there is plenty of parking and we just take out our beach chairs and head down to sit beside the ocean. You really can't go wrong with any of the places to stay either in Fernandina Beach or Amelia Island.

Enjoy your trip!!

Fernandina Beach FL
Destination Expert
for Amelia Island, Fernandina Beach
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Decisions...Decisions

Will give a "technical" correction to IslandSue comment about St. Augustine being the oldest city in the U.S. Actually, St. Augustine is the oldest continuously occupied city in the US. Amelia Island was originally settled by the French under Jean Ribault 450 years ago - 3 years before St. Augustine was founded by the Spanish. Of course, the Spanish defeated the French forces at Fort Caroline and then massacred the troops of Ribault down at Mantanzas. But after the defeat, the french settlement on Amelia Island was abandoned, thus giving St. Augustine the "continuously occupied" oldest city title. But that is a tongue tying mouthful, so they just say "oldest city". The other historical fact about St. Auggie is that Ponce de Leon never made it up that far north himself. Research showed he only got up as far north as present day Daytona Beach on one of his conquests, and then he turned his attention to the Gulf side of FL and over into present day Alabama.

That being said, the Fort in St. Augustine and Matanzas Memorial are certainly worthy of visits.

5. Re: Decisions...Decisions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 May 2013, 05:25