We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental companies at Fort lauderdale Airport

Which Fort Lauderdale hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manteno, IL
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental companies at Fort lauderdale Airport

My family will be flying in to the Ft. Lauderdale Airport in June. Does anyone have any experience with the car rental companies at the airport? Alamo and Dollar seem to have the best deals so far. I would like to book soon, I am but afraid of getting bad service or a bad vehicle. Help!

Orange, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
274 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental companies at Fort lauderdale Airport

We have used just about every rental car copany in FLL airport and they have all been fine. Most recently we have used Dollar and Budget. All of the bigger well known companies are located in the same Rental Car Center located in the airport parking garage and you use the same shuttle no matter what company you may choose to use. Try this site for Rental Car discount codes.

http://www.rentalcodes.com/

Harry

Douglas...
Level Contributor
342 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental companies at Fort lauderdale Airport

We have used Alamo for rentals. You pay upfront online and when you land you just go to the Alamo garage and pick out the car you want, get in it and drive away. No lines no waiting!!!!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,876 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental companies at Fort lauderdale Airport

As Harry said, they all share a facilty , so Alamo or Dollar should be fine. There are a few like Sunshine and Gold Coast that operate off site, but I would stay with the better known ones that are on the airport property and shop strictly by price- rates fluctuate by supply and demand. We found an interesting deal from Thrifty for our trip to Portland ,OR called the "Wild Car" For a lower price , you agree to accept any car midsize or larger that they choose. We realize that we may get a van. SUV or even a Hummer in these days of high gas prices , but don't have far to travel , so we're going to do it. I don't know if they offer that for FLL. I'll have to report my experience when we come back!

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Hollywood
Level Contributor
5,816 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental companies at Fort lauderdale Airport

I love it when I can just go up to the car I want and drive off! Alamo very often has some great deals and they often sent me emails about the specials they're running at the time. Check out their website to see what you can find out. Getting into a car at FLL is a snap. Everything's on site which makes it so much easier!

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
7,960 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental companies at Fort lauderdale Airport

Car rental at FLL is certainly a breeze especially if you fly into terminal 1. If you fly into any other terminal you have to get the bus to T1 to pick up your car (assuming that the rental company is at the airport which most of the major players are). I hadn't thought about gas prices because gas in the US is still cheap compared to the UK ( we are talking around $12+ per gallon) but I think if things are still the same in October we will rent the absolute cheapest small car in advance in the hopes that the rental company doesn't have one left and they have to upgrade us free.

somerville,ma
Level Contributor
38 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental companies at Fort lauderdale Airport

Dear Bzalewski,We used royal and got free upgrade to a nice vw rabbit,you pay them for full tank of gas at fair price and can bring it back empty,well almost empty,like the guys said FLL airport has fantastic rentacar access,I saw on some post that someone used priceline and got an suv for 15 bucks a day,wish i saw that even with gas prices. Charlie

Manteno, IL
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental companies at Fort lauderdale Airport

Thanks for all the great info. My family and I appreciate it. I now feel secure renting with Dollar car rental.

Southern California
Level Contributor
23 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rental companies at Fort lauderdale Airport

See you already settled on Dollar. Good choice. We just rented from them last week at Lauderdale Airport, got a deal the others can't beat, plus a nice car.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
118 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Rental companies at Fort lauderdale Airport

Avis - 'We Don't Try At All"

Have been to Fort Lauderdale several times this year. I have had good and hassle free experiences with Enterprise. This past trip I booked with Avis. Their 'We Try Harder' slogan could not be farther from the truth. Arriving at the Fort Lauderdale airport car rental area, I waited in line 45 min to get to the counter. Once there, I was greeted by an unmotivated Avis rep. Because the area was packed with travelers in the Avis area, it was very loud difficult to hear. The rep would not speak above a normal but low level even when it was obvious that it was difficult to hear her. This proved to be an issue when I returned my car and was billed an additional amount even though I prepaid for my car and returned it with an over-full tank. I went to the counter again to find out what this extra charge was for. Waited 15 min in line to be told that I had upgraded my car class. i tried to explain that I never asked to be upgraded and never agreed to be upgraded but this second highly unmotivated service rep waved me off with her hand and said there was nothing she could do. Dumbfounded, I turned to another customer service rep- a kindly looking woman in her 60's. When I asked for help, without even turning to acknowledge me, said she was no longer helping customers.

I have contacted Avis about my experience and this deceptive practice but have not heard back from them yet.

10. Re: Car Rental companies at Fort lauderdale Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 10:18
Get answers to your questions about Fort Lauderdale